Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Top Ten Tuesday: Animal Crackers

Our Top Ten Tuesday prompt from That Artsy Reader Girl for this week is "Covers with Animals On Them," and I have chosen to narrow that to junior fiction/middle grade books that feature animals on their covers.  Instead of writing up a description of them this week, I've just copied over a line from my review of that particular book that I think you might find interesting.


(All titles linked to my full reviews.)

All the Mowgli Stories by Rudyard Kipling -- "Why do I love these stories so much? Because they're fun, but they've also got a lot of wisdom in them."

The Black Stallion by Walter Farley -- "It's still a rousingly good yarn of overcoming steep odds, trusting your friends, and using your skills and talents to the utmost. I still love it."

The Christmas Pig by J. K. Rowling -- "Rowling loves her mythology, and this book kept reminding me of the myth of Orpheus descending into Hades to rescue his wife Eurydice. With a little of Dante's Inferno and Toy Story mixed in."

Dragons at Crumbling Castle and Other Tales by Terry Pratchett -- "I loved how he often turned fairy tale tropes upside down."

Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman -- "I liked it enough to plan on seeking out more of Gaiman's books."  (Note: I've read 4 more of his books by now...)


The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis -- "Is it weird that I liked this book WAY BETTER when I read it now, as an adult, than I did as a kid?"

Old Ramon by Jack Schaefer -- "This book is very short, just a hundred pages, but it packs so much wisdom and beauty into those pages!"

Over the Moon by Natalie Lloyd -- "I LOVE FLYING HORSES. They aren't in nearly enough books, and I'm so glad this book has them :-)"

The Vanderbeekers to the Rescue by Karina Yan Glaser -- "Yes, the kids keep a big secret from their parents in this one. Yes, that causes a lot of problems. Yes, there are consequences."

The Young Man and the Sea by Rodman Philbrick -- "I had tears in my eyes by the end of this book, it was so good."

Any books here you've read?  What did you share for TTT this week?

16 comments:

  1. I think it’s cool you reviewed The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe!

    My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-titles-with-aquatic-animals-in-them/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lydia! I should have reviewed all of the Narnia books, as I listened to the audiobook versions with my daughters a couple years ago, but I got lazy and didn't.

      Delete
  2. Over the Moon sounds interesting.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    Astilbe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Astilbe, it's such a good, good book. I definitely recommend it!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, Deanna! I had fun putting this list together :-)

      Delete
  4. Fun post! I like how you put it together. I went with animals on the cover because it was easier (for me) and I wasn't sure I could come up with 10 animals in titles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! This was definitely a different kind of prompt that sort of stretched me creatively too.

      Delete
  5. I just love the title "The Christmas Pig." :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rissi, I know, so whimsical! And the book is excellent, too :-D

      Delete
  6. I love your specific take on the topic! I agree -- I got way more out of Narnia as an adult, though I loved it as a child, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gypsi! Good to know I'm not the only one who had to get old enough again to read fairy tales before Narnia really clicked.

      Delete
  7. Fortunately the milk is such a good choice, I'm kicking myself for forgetting about it. Happy reading! My TTT https://readwithstefani.com/books-with-animals/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stefani, isn't that a hilarious book? I get such a kick out of it!

      Delete
  8. I read a bunch of The Black Stallion books when I was a kid. I loved them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AJ, I read four or five of the Black Stallion books, but my favorite was the first one, always. The others were fun too, though!

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)