Friday, April 14, 2023

"Moonfleet" by J. Meade Falkner

Well, that was... interesting.  The cover makes it look like it might involve tall ships more than it does.  Or pirates, maybe.  There's stuff with ships, but not loads, and there are no pirates, just smugglers.  Sigh.  Also, I watched the 1955 movie version starring Stewart Granger last year, which turns out to be very, very, very loosely based on this.  More like vaguely inspired by the book, really.

The book is about a British orphan in his mid-teens who has a crush on a local girl, accidentally gets involved with smugglers, gets thrown out of his aunt's home and lives at the local pub, ends up in prison in the Netherlands, and then has a kind of miraculous escape just at the end.  With various adventures in between.  I think it's supposed to be kind of like Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson, but instead of having a focused plot and a narrative that gambols merrily along, this one felt more like hopping from one stepping stone to the next and hoping you don't lose your balance.  It wasn't bad, and parts of it were really fun, but I just didn't love it.  (I didn't love the movie version either, though I wouldn't mind watching it again sometime just for Stewart Granger.)

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: PG for violence, smuggling, robbery, danger to a teen and to others, and several perilous and suspenseful sequences.


This is my 11th book read and reviewed for my fourth Classics Club list, my 20th book read from my TBR shelves for #TheUnreadShelfProject2023, and my first book read for the Classic Children's Literature Party.

6 comments:

  1. It sounds interesting, but definitely a bit muddled. And you're right, it does have that Kidnapped vibe. It's probably not one I would end up reading, but I love that you tried something new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carissa, I think if I read it as a tween, I probably would have liked it better just for all the adventuring.

      Delete
  2. Being about five years after Kidnapped, and about a dozen after Treasure Island, I'm curious as to which author was the bigger hit with his smuggling tale at that time. I had never heard of it, and I don't think I've seen the movie, either. (I'm a fan of Stewart Granger, too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gypsi, well, considering what huge hits both of RLS's books were, I'm going to guess they were bigger, but I did read that this was very popular in its time.

      Stewart Granger is just so watchable, isn't he? He's playing a total scoundrel in this, and even so, I just can't help being mesmerized. I am especially fond of his voice. So plummy.

      Delete
  3. (P.S. I just looked up Falkner, and his other two novels sound good, too. I've gotten all three from Project Gutenberg, thanks to your review!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gypsi, yay! Glad this has led you to a new author to try!

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)