Thursday, April 27, 2023

"The Princess and the Goblin" by George MacDonald

What a whimsical, meandering, endearing story!  I read this because I had learned that it was a big influence on both J.R.R. Tolkien and C. S. Lewis, so I wanted to see what it was like.  I can definitely see some ways it influenced The Hobbit, especially the sort of "adult telling children a little story because they are cute" tone.  Which is not a tone I am fond of, so it took me quite a while to get into this book.  But I did eventually enjoy it, especially when it surprised me in one specific way.  I was convinced one character was going to turn out to be evil, but she wasn't at all, and I liked that a lot.

The story revolves around Princess Irene, who discovers a magical old woman living in the attic of her fortress.  And it revolves around Curdie, a little boy miner who is very good at noticing details.  They take turns rescuing each other, which I appreciated, and both had to learn the importance of believing and trusting people.  There are a lot of goblins in the story too, but the princess rarely encounters them, so the title is a bit misleading, really.

Particularly Good Bits:

...that is the way fear serves us: it always sides with the thing we are afraid of (p. 104).

     "We are all very anxious to be understood, and it is very hard not to be.  But there is one thing much more necessary."
     "What is that, grandmother?"
     "To understand other people" (p. 173)

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: PG for some instances of children in danger, goblins threatening to eat a child, and other somewhat scary images.


This is my 14th book read and reviewed for my fourth Classics Club list, the 22nd read off my TBR shelves for #TheUnreadShelfProject2023, and my third for the Classic Children's Literature Party.

12 comments:

  1. I love this book! My grandmother read it aloud to me when I was little, so I have overwhelmingly positive associations with it. I hadn't ever thought about it as influencing Lewis & Tolkien (although I did know they both read MacDonald) but that's something to watch for on my next reread...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samantha, I'm thinking this might be like The Hobbit in another way -- I might enjoy it more if I read it aloud to kids. I bet it is great fun to experience it that way!

      Delete
  2. I remember reading this as a kid! It was a little too weird for me at times--I wasn't hugely into fantasy as a child, for whatever reason, with a few exceptions like Narnia. I still have some good memories of the book, though, like some of the jokes the goblins made. Dark humor and all that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, two of my kids have read this already, and I kept saying to them, "This book is weird, man!" It really is. But I did like it eventually.

      Delete
  3. I love this book so much! I didn't discover it until I was like 12, but it absolutely charmed me. The goblins were satisfactorily creepy, Irene's secret-passageway-filled-house was a major bit of childhood wish fulfillment, and Curdie was everything I didn't know I needed in a hero. This is making me want to read it again.

    Also, the goblins' horror of toes. "THE ENDS OF HER FEET WERE SPLIT INTO FIVE OR SIX LITTLE PIECES!" XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nutmeg, I bet 12 is a good age to first read this at! Probably better than 43 ;-)

      The whole obsession with toes was so funny. Because, when you stop and really look at them, toes really are kinda freaky!

      Delete
  4. Wait, you were also convinced she was going to turn into a bad guy? It wasn't just me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, oh, I was 100% convinced she was basically Maleficent for like half the book. The fact that she wasn't is one of my favorite things about it.

      Delete
  5. This is one of my favorite books and the sequel is very good too. In the early 90s they made an animation movie and as a kid I watched it over and over again. This is a book that's long overdue for a live action film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ivy Miranda, this would definitely be an interesting live-action film!

      Delete
  6. Oh good; I'm happy to hear you liked it. I read MacDonald for the same reason, knowing Tolkien and Lewis both admired him. But I opted for what I think was his first attempt in the genre, Phantastes, and I didn't really care for it. I have heard this is a better story, and with your trusted estimate, I look forward to reading it. I'll keep ya "posted". (pun there...pleased with myself). Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joseph, I have read one other book by George MacDonald, The Baronet's Song, which was historical fiction and which I didn't particularly like. This was much more enjoyable! I hope you like it better than Phantastes, which I have heard very mixed things about.

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)