Friday, December 24, 2021

"The Christmas Pig" by J. K. Rowling

Having just finished rereading the Harry Potter series, it was super exciting to have a brand-new Rowling adventure to enjoy before the end of the year!  And The Christmas Pig did not disappoint.

Jack's favorite toy, Dur Pig or DP for short, has been his constant source of comfort throughout his short and sometimes troubled life.  When his father leaves, DP comforts him.  When Jack and his mother move to a new house, DP bolsters his courage.  When Jack gets bullied, when life is unfair, when nothing goes the way it ought to, DP is always there for Jack.

Until he isn't.  DP gets lost.  And, with a new Christmas Pig for a guide, Jack goes on an Epic Quest to find and rescue DP from the Land of the Lost.  And I do mean Epic Quest.  You know Rowling loves her mythology, and this book kept reminding me of the myth of Orpheus descending into Hades to rescue his wife Eurydice.  With a little of Dante's Inferno and Toy Story mixed in.  All of that infused with Rowling's heady creativity, of course.

Did I love The Christmas Pig?  I might have.  I think I will when I reread it.  I certainly laughed and cried over it, and I'm now handing it off to my kids to add to their box of Christmas books.

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: PG for some intense scenes of peril to a child, themes of loss and broken families, and bullying.  No bad language or other objectionable content.

This has been my 53rd book read off my TBR shelves for #TheUnreadShelfProject2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)