Saturday, December 11, 2021

"The Greatest Gift" by Philip Van Doren Stern

I've seen It's a Wonderful Life (1946) dozens of times.  I remember first seeing it at my grandparents' house in July when I was probably eleven or twelve.  My aunt found out we had never seen it and insisted on loaning us her copy so we could rectify that omission in our cultural education.  I've been a fan ever since.

But I'd never read the short story it's based on, until now.  Isn't that silly of me?  I must admit I've been a bit hesitant to read it because... what if it wasn't as wonderful as the movie?

Well, it's not.  But how could it be?  It's a Wonderful Life is one of those jewel-perfect movies where nothing could possibly have improved it.  However, the short story is heartwarming and cozy, and it has the same basic message: that each life impacts every life that touches it, and the lack of one person can make a huge difference in the lives of many.  It reminds me a lot of John Donne's famous statement about no man being an island.

The copy I have also contains a history of how Van Doren Stern wrote the short story and its twisting road to moviedom.  He woke up with the whole story in his head one morning, wrote it out, revised it many times, tried to get it published many times, but had no luck. Finally, he had it printed up in a little booklet at his own expense and gave it to friends and family as a Christmas card.  One of those found its way to Frank Capra, freshly back from WWII and looking for his next movie idea.  He called James Stewart, also just discharged from the Air Force, told him the idea, and James Stewart basically insisted they make it together because he loved the idea so much.

The movie does a better job of fleshing out the characters and their lives, so if you have neither read this short story nor seen the movie, I do recommend the movie over the story.  But if you already know the movie, the short story is really lovely because you can kind of trace how the germs of the various ideas and scenes are there, but got expanded and rounded out for the movie.

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: PG because it does open with George Bailey contemplating suicide, though it does not go nearly as dark as the movie does.


This has been my first entry into the It's a Wonderful Life Blogathon hosted by Classic Movie Muse.  Check out her master list for everyone's entries!

This is also my 47th book read off my TBR shelves for #TheUnreadShelfProject2021.

10 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to read the short story but could never find a copy. I figure this was a case where the movie improved on the original, but it's still nice to know the source is interesting in its own right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nitrate Glow, I found it pretty easily on AbeBooks, and I enjoyed it enough that I'm keeping it on my shelves to reread sometime.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this very interesting background. I have often thought about reading the story but never got around to it. It's funny how we put off the simplest and pleasurable of tasks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caftan Woman, it was definitely a sweet little story! I would recommend it to fans of the movie, for sure. But I know what you mean -- sometimes it's hard to find those tiny moments!

      Delete
  3. I love backstories and this film had a truly unique one. What other movie can say it originated from a Christmas card I'd like to know?!
    Great stuff :)

    I read The Greatest Gift for the first time last year and wished there was more to it, but it made me appreciate the writers' and Capra's vision for the film all the more.

    Thank you so much for contributing this lovely post to my blogathon, Rachel! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muse, I love movie backstories too! This is definitely an unusual and fun one :-)

      I'm so glad you hosted this blogathon! It got me to finally read this, and I LOVED writing my other post for it :-D Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for this information. You know, I have seen that "based on" card so many times and did wonder about the basis for the film. Now I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, FlickChick! It is an enjoyable little story :-)

      Delete
  5. I have to agree with everyone else--I've always wanted to read the story, too, but I couldn't find a copy. Glad you got to, though, and it's just as wonderful as the film. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, this seems to be a common plight for us IAWL fans! There are quite a few copies available on AbeBooks and eBay, or there were about a month ago when I got one for myself and another as a gift for a friend. It really is a sweet and uplifting little read!

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)