Sunday, December 12, 2021

"A Very Bookish Christmas" by Rebekah Jones, Sarah Holman, J. Grace Pennington, and Kate Willis

I liked A Very Bookish Thanksgiving and A Very Bookish 4th of July, but I think A Very Bookish Christmas is my favorite yet.  Probably because I love Christmas so much, I suppose.  Or maybe I just connected to more of the stories?  I don't know!  But I had such a lovely time reading these four novellas.  My favorites were Sincerely, Jem by Kate Willis and Molly and Anna by Sarah Holman, but I enjoyed the other two stories too!

Gingerbread Treasures by Rebekah Jones is kind of inspired by the Sherlock Holmes stories (by A. Conan Doyle), especially his reputation for being aloof and brusque with people who don't know him well.  It's got a mystery and a Christmasy setting, but it never quite grabbed me the way I wanted it to.

Molly and Anna by Sarah Holman is inspired by Pollyanna (by Eleanor H. Porter), and I really loved how Holman tackled the difficult subject of recognizing and working to overcome personal prejudices.  The story was never preachy or unrealistic, but instead showed how a person can have a bias against others for what they feel are legitimate reasons, but still be in the wrong.  And it showed how God can help people overcome prejudice by opening their eyes to their mistakes and misconceptions and filling their hearts with love and understanding.  I thought Holman handled all of that so deftly, while also making me care about the two orphans and the aunt who took them in and learned from them by loving them.

Sylvie of Amber Apartments by J. Grace Pennington is inspired by Anne of Green Gables (by L. M. Montgomery), and I really related to how the young protagonist felt like people around her just couldn't understand her imagination.  I really liked the way she discovered a kindred spirit within her own family, and there was a moment toward the end that brought tears to my eyes because it was so heartwarming.

Sincerely, Jem by Kate Willis is inspired by Daddy-Long-Legs (by Jean Webster) and was the most light-hearted of the four novellas.  I grinned and chuckled my way through it, which was such fun.  I have several pen pals myself, and I like epistolary novels, so that was totally my jam.

(Mine from my Instagram.)

Particularly Good Bits:

Maybe friendships were like Christmas, she decided.  You celebrated them while they were happening and loved the memories you had when it was over (p. 403, Sincerely, Jem by Kate Willis).

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: G for tackling some difficult things like racism and prejudice in a kind and honest way that is totally child-appropriate.   Like the previous two books I've read from this series, I've handed it off to my 14-yr-old son, who likes them even better than I do.

This has been my 48th book read off my TBR shelves for #TheUnreadShelfProject2021!!!  I hit my second goal!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)