Saturday, December 16, 2023

"The L. M. Montgomery Christmas Collection"

I love L. M. Montgomery's writing, and I love Christmas, so I am naturally drawn to her festive stories and poetry.  The Christmas with Anne collection is one of my favorite Christmastime reads, so I am excited to add this new collection to my shelf.  It does have some overlap with that other volume -- both contain the "Matthew Insists on Puffed Sleeves" from Anne of Green Gables, as well as several of the same short stories.  This collection has a couple of different Anne chapters too, and six Christmas/winter poems that are paired with appropriate classic paintings.  There are paintings to go with the short stories and Anne chapters as well, and I love all the thought that obviously went into the pairings.

I bought the paperback edition of this book, but I wish I had gotten the hardcover instead.  I see there is now a pocket-sized hardcover edition available, as well as the full-sized one, and I might get that for myself and put this paperback copy into my kids' box of Christmas books that we haul out every year.

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: G.  It's everything sweet, wholesome, and lovely.

This is my 57th book read from my TBR shelves for #TheUnreadShelfProject2023.

4 comments:

  1. There's another Anne book you may want to watch for or obtain. Megan Follows, who portrayed Anne in the original 1985 TV series, has just directed and published a new audiobook of the novel Anne of Green Gables read/performed by an all-star Canadian ensemble cast of actors. Here's a link with more explanation and details if you're interested --
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-anne-green-gables-audible-audiobook-1.7043654

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, that sounds really cool! I'm not huge into audiobooks, but I'd definitely give that a try. If my library doesn't have it, I'm going to request that they get it. Thanks for the heads up!

      Delete
  2. I've seen this lovely book lately, and was wondering whether it's overlapping with Christmas with Anne (already on my TBR, might read some stories this Christmas!). Thus, thanks for confirming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fanda, it does overlap a bit, but not entirely. I would say that Christmas with Anne is the stronger and meatier of the two, while this one is maybe a bit better for younger readers. I'm pleased to have both myself, tho.

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)