Wednesday, December 27, 2023

"Classic Christmas Crime Stories" ed. by David Stuart Davies

There's something about the bustle and chaos of the lead-up to Christmas that makes me crave the restoration of order that a good mystery provides.  This collection of festive mysteries and other crime stories was just what I wanted to read in the middle of December!

There are eleven short stories here, ranging from very familiar Christmas mysteries like "The Blue Carbuncle" by A. Conan Doyle to story featuring the characters from the BBC show Rosemary and Thyme.  I enjoyed nearly all of the stories ("The Case of the Seven Santas" by H. R. F. Keating got really tedious after a while, for me).  My favorites, in the order in which they appear, were:

  • "The Blue Carbuncle" by A. Conan Doyle (already one of my absolute favorite Sherlock Holmes short stories)

  • "The Case of the Dead Wait" by Peter Lovesey

  • "Markheim" by Robert Louis Stevenson

  • "Death on the Air" by Ngaio Marsh

  • "Stuffing" by Edgar Wallace

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: PG-13 for murder, bloodshed, poisonings, a smattering of bad language here and there, and occasional hints at lascivious behavior.

This is my 58th book read off my TBR shelves for #TheUnreadShelfProject2023.

2 comments:

  1. I know I've read "The Blue Carbuncle" at least 2 or 3 times over the years, but do you think I can remember now what the plot is? No. Thank you, advancing years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, I would enjoy that, though! Then the mystery is still mysterious for you! Some of the Holmes adventures I have read so often, I'm just there for the camaraderie, not the storyline anymore.

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)