Wednesday, December 20, 2023

"Big Red" by Jim Kjelgaard

You know what I love about Jim Kjelgaard's books?  The dogs in them don't die at the end.  That shouldn't be a revolutionary concept, and yet, it sure seems to be.  So many dog books broke my heart when I was a kid, and then I discovered Kjelgaard, and he became my hero.  I read every book of his that my library had on their shelves.  I asked for them for Christmas.  I bought them at yard sales.  I still buy them at used book stores.  I actually haven't looked up how many books he wrote, I just keep finding another every few years.

Big Red is his most famous book, and it's quite the delight.  A poor Canadian mountain boy (EDIT: or possibly, Pennsylvanian???) who loves dogs gets to take care of his rich neighbor's prize Irish Setter, and he grows up a lot in the process.  There's lots of stuff about how to train a dog, how to survive in the woods, and how to win a dog show, which is all very wonderful.  But the part I remember best from when I was a kid, and the part I couldn't wait to get to when I was reading this aloud to my own kids this fall, was the part where a wolverine comes down the chimney.  

I am not making this up.  A wolverine comes down the chimney and tries to kill the boy and the dog.  It's so terrifying and horrible and thrilling.  And, of course, the boy is basically unarmed and has to survive with his wits and almost no weapons of any sort.  Because that is the kind of book I loved when I was a teenage girl!

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: PG-10 because man, that wolverine is scary!  Also, there's a smattering of mild cuss words.  Also, there's a big, mean bear.  

10 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I read this book when I was a kid. It's a classic for a reason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, yes! I almost think I should add it to my Classics Club reading, because it really is a wonderful kids classic.

      Delete
  2. Wait, Danny and Ross are Canadian?? I've loved these books for years and I never knew that!

    I agree, I was always pleased that Kjelgaard didn't write "the dog dies at the end" type stories. His dogs are far too sturdy to die at the end. You can't keep 'em down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, okay, so... as a kid, I assumed this took place in Michigan because I lived in Michigan and we had wolverines and crazy huge snow, etc. Reading it this time, I was like, "Oh, clearly, this is Canada." I even thought it said something about the Canadian wilderness at one point.

      HOWEVER, the internet says this is set in... Pennsylvania??? That just doesn't seem right at all. Really? Pennsylvania? Huh. This is so weird.

      Anyway, yup, Kjelgaard's dogs are just extra wonderful.

      Delete
    2. Pennsylvania!! That makes it even more confusing! It can't possibly be Pennsylvania!

      Seriously, I could buy Canada or upstate New York or Michigan, but no way is this Pennsylvania. It has too many "far north" vibes. (Plus, don't they talk about traveling down to New York City?)

      Now watch me go down a rabbit hole trying to figure out the location once and for all...

      Delete
    3. Katie, yeah, it just doesn't seem right for Pennsylvania. Then again, there was a weird weather pattern (El Nino or something?) in the 1950s that dumped WAY more snow on North America than usual -- it's why people in my parents' generation are always complaining about how little snow we get nowadays, because they think that the amount they experienced as kids was normal, not realizing it was actually a weird multiple-years-long fluke. And this was written in the 1950s, so I guess maaaaaaaybe they got this much snow in northern PA at that time?

      Sure seems too far north-ish to be PA tho.

      Delete
    4. Oh wow!! I did not know this about 1950s weather patterns! I guess that does explain some of the "uphill both ways in the snow" rhetoric XD

      But yeah, I'm with you, I don't think this could be Pennsylvania.

      Delete
    5. Katie, there was also a weird weather thing that hit California in the mid-1940s that made it rain a LOT, and that's why so many classic noir films that take place in CA also involve lots of rain.

      Delete
  3. Okay, this explains why I always liked Kjelgaard books even though there was far too much hunting in them for my taste. The doggos don't die. My childhood world makes sense again. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia, yup, they are far superior for that reason. I mean, besides the fact that they're good adventure stories too, and never get too sappy.

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)