Thursday, September 28, 2023

"Of Fire and Ash" by Gillian Bronte Adams

Of Fire and Ash
is my teenage daughter's favorite book right now.  She's eagerly awaiting the next book in the series, Of Sea and Smoke, which launches in just under two months.  And she wants to dress as the main character from this one, Ceredwin, for Halloween this year.  So, when Gillian Bronte Adams announced a read-along of this book on Instagram, I decided to participate because I knew it would make my daughter really happy if I read it.  And, it did!  She had such a great time discussing it with me as we read -- she reread it during the read-along too.

I can see why my daughter loves this book.  Ceredwin is a fierce, opinionated young woman and a mighty warrior.  The book has nonstop excitement, lots of fighting and angst, and not really any romance.  There are funny characters, sad characters, and lots of very brave characters.  Also, some dastardly villains.  If I had read this before she did, I might have asked her to wait a couple years before reading it, as there are some torture scenes that I might have thought were a little more than she could handle, though she doesn't seem to be bothered by them at all, as it turns out.

But this was not really a book I enjoyed.  I appreciated many aspects of it, yes.  The characters were excellent, and they were why I kept reading, because I wanted to find out what happened to them.  But I did not like the pacing of the story -- I actually set the book aside many times because of the pacing.  There are three different stories happening simultaneously, each with its own main character, and the book would spend a couple of chapters with one character in their storyline, then hop abruptly to another right when I was getting invested in what was happening.  Often, I would just put the book down and go do something else because the cord of my interest had been severed.

Also, the pacing suffered from something I have noticed in a few other modern books lately:  lack of rest for the readers.  When you have an adventure tale, in particular, every time you have a big high point of action, your audience needs some rest after it, just like your characters.  Think about The Lord of the Rings, how after being chased by Black Riders, the hobbits and audience get to rest in Bree.  Then, after the attack at Weathertop, we get rest in Rivendell.  After the ordeal in Moria, we rest in Lothlorien.  And so it goes, throughout the whole saga -- the audience gets to catch their breath along with the characters.  If you don't let them rest, they will set your story aside to find rest away from it -- but there seems to be this thinking in today's writers that you have to keep throwing exciting stuff at your readers constantly or they will lose interest.  Trouble is, they will also get overwhelmed and lose interest because of that.

In this particular book, many times when the characters got to rest after a battle or skirmish or fight with a monster, the book yanked readers away and tossed them into another big fight scene in a different storyline, and that got very tiring.

Now, would I recommend this book?  If you like swords-and-sorcery kinds of high fantasy, absolutely.  The writing, aside from the pacing, was stellar.  The story and characters were definitely engaging.

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: PG-16 for violence, torture, scary situations, death, branding, angst, emotional pain, and monsters.  No cussing and no smut.

This is my 48th book read from my TBR shelves for #TheUnreadShelfProject2023.

3 comments:

  1. I'm interested to try this one because I've seen it at Realm Makers for several years now. Gillian Adams won a couple Realm awards for it, I think. (You know what would be really cool? If you and your daughter came to Realm Makers to meet Gillian... and then I could see you too!)

    I feel you on the pacing though. That's something that bothers me, if the book is either too slow or too rushed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I think you would probably enjoy this, overall? It gets really intense at times, but it is fairly clear who is and is not a trustworthy character.

      I have talked about taking all 3 of my kids to Realm Makers in a couple of years, when they are all teens, as they all enjoy books by authors who would probably be there, like Gillian Bronte Adams and Kendra E. Ardnek. It would be thrilling for them, and fun for me! And then I could meet YOU!

      Delete
    2. Excellent! I'll keep the book in mind, then!

      THAT WOULD BE FANTASTIC. Kendra is always at Realm Makers, and I have no plans to stop coming anytime soon, so we'll definitely both be there in a few more years! And it would be so awesome to get to hang out with you, and to meet your kids too!!

      (I'm thinking of bringing my teen sister as well, since she also enjoys the authors featured at Realm Makers.)

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)