Thursday, June 2, 2022

"Anne of Green Gables" (Manga Classics) by L. M. Montgomery (original story), Crystal S. Chan (story adaptation), and Kuma Chan (art)

I am enchanted by this manga version of Anne of Green Gables. So enchanted that I can't read more in the Manga Classics series!  And this one has definitely found a home on our shelves.

Obviously, this is an abridgement of the original text.  There are a few chapters that only get one or two pages in this, Crystal S. Chan sets forth all the really key parts in loving detail.  Anne driving through the White Way of Delight for the first time?  Check.  Anne flying into a rage when Mrs. Rachel Lynde twits her about her looks?  Check.  Anne breaking a slate over Gilbert's head?  Check.  And so on.

Kuma Chan's artwork is completely adorable.  Every few pages, I would just stop and marvel at the sweetness and cuteness.  It is every bit as charming as it ought to be.

Now that I've read it myself, I've passed it on to my kids, and my ten-year-old read the whole thing in a little over an hour this afternoon.  She also completely loved it, and she is begging me to get some Manga Classics that retell Jane Austen books.  So look for more reviews of this series to come, because you know I have a great fondness for Jane Austen!

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It:  G.  Absolutely clean and wholesome.

This has been my 24th book read off my TBR shelves for #TheUnreadShelfProject2022.

4 comments:

  1. Awww, that cover is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The artwork inside is totally adorable, and I really like the way they retold the story too. Very, very well done all around.

      Delete
  2. I'll have to look for this for my girls. I think they'll get a kick out of it. There's Jane Austen Manga, too? LOL! I wonder if there is Shakespeare?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, there are 3 Austen titles in this series (Emma, P&P, S&S) and several Shakespeare (I have their Hamlet, but there's for sure Macbeth, and I think maybe Midsummer Night's Dream?). I just finished reading the Count of Monte Cristo from this series and it was amazing. Review coming soon!

      They say these are for teens, but the two I've read have been suitable for kids too. My 10-yr-old might not ever let me have the Anne back...

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)