Monday, June 6, 2022

"Isabella's Daughter" by Charity Bishop

Is there anything more awesome than a book series ending on an absolute high note?  Having the last book in the series also be the best book?  I think there are few storytelling highs as lofty as that.  Well, Isabella's Daughter brings the Tudor Throne series to an incredibly satisfying conclusion.  I thought there was no way I was going to love any book in this series more than The Last Fire Eater, but I was wrong.  I love Isabella's Daughter even more.  Even though there were a couple chapters where I was just super angry at everyone for not being where they needed to be, and very, very, extremely worried about their wellbeing.

(SPOILERS IN THE NEXT TWO PARAGRAPHS) 

Also, um, I was really quite convinced that Thomas Lovell was going to die in this one.  Because he's been my favorite all through the series, but he's not exactly the main character, and he just has been on this very gradual redemption arc, and I was pretty sure he was going to end up giving his life to defend someone.  And that made me worried.  I purposely didn't look up his actual history because I didn't want to know how things ended for him, in case they were spoilery, and because I was afraid I would get sad ahead of time.  And who needs advance sadness?

Well, Bishop explains at the back of the book that she did take a few liberties with history to wrap things up in this book, and one of those involves Lovell, but I won't spoil you more than that.

(END OF SPOILERS)

I was very excited that Davina and Lambert got to take part in this last book because I kind of thought they had exited the storyline, but they fitted back in quite naturally, and even got to do some Important Things.  Quite awesome.

This book centers around Katherine and her sister Juana, daughters of Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand of Spain, and the political intrigue surrounding them in regards to the English court.  Plus, you've got Suffolk trying to organize another rebellion against King Henry VII, Isabel Lovell is pregnant and worried she'll lose her baby because her husband won't repent of all the things he's done in the king's service, and poor Nan Browne can't get her baby daddy to marry her the way he promised to.  Intrigue and mystery and suspense galore!

Particularly Good Bits:

"I admire the deviousness of your enforcer.  He snuck a note to me last night inside a roasted duck to inform me of this meeting."

A cruel twinkle in his eyes, Lovell kisses her cheek and strides away.

They will make their mothers proud.

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: PG-13 for a scene with childbirth, discussion of a child born out of wedlock, violence, suspense, and a smattering of bad language.

This has been my 26th book read off my TBR shelves for #TheUnreadShelfProject2022.

8 comments:

  1. I was so pleased with the way everything wrapped up! Especially that Estrella and A Certain Somebody lived happily ever after... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was indeed such a perfect ending to the story, and also my favorite of all the books as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DKoren, it really was a perfect wrap-up :-) Not surprised it's your favorite of them too!

      Delete
  3. I'm happy that you loved it so much! I was so petrified of writing a final installment that people wouldn't absolutely love, but I guess, as usual, I worried for nothing!

    It's not my style to kill off my favorite character in the last book, but hey, at least I got some emotional reactions out of you, right? (Anger, dread, fear, and no doubt hatred for a Certain Somebody.)

    Now I will live a strange half-life, trying to figure out what to write about next...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charity, I can well believe that was a really daunting task.

      I do trust you to try to deliver happy endings when possible, but I also know you were working with history and... it was worrisome!

      Also, we were out at the coast earlier this week and kept passing signs for Suffolk, and I would just be filled with rage and loathing every time...

      Have fun figuring out what to do next!

      Delete
    2. It was hard to figure out what to focus on at first, so I just went with the three unresolved plot threads (well, four, if you count the ongoing Lovel/Isabel childless arc) -- Brandon/Nan/Willoughby, Estrella and Willoughby, and resolving the Suffolk plot line. History was against me this time, because IRL everything went so peacefully. So I shook it up a bit. ;)

      I am thinking fantasy this time, but I'm not sure. I'm a period drama girl at heart...

      Delete
    3. Oh, how dare history get peaceful for a while! Lol :-) Yeah, you tied all of that up very nicely, and resolved a lot for Katherine too.

      The right book will show up!

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)