Thursday, June 30, 2022

"Emma" (Manga Classics) by Jane Austen (original story), Crystal S. Chan (story adaptation), and Po Tse (art)

This was sweet and fluffy and fun, but I think the adapters here may have lost some of the deeper meaning contained within Austen's original.  I don't think they show Emma maturing as much here as she does there, in other words.  Actually, this has inspired me to want to reread the original, so that's pretty cool :-)

If they don't portray Emma's maturing from a judgmental and meddlesome young lady to a kinder and more contented young lady, that might partly be because the Emma here starts out fairly nice and kind and sweet.  Which makes the whole manga light and enjoyable, and that is not all bad.  I suspect my ten-year-old is going to love it.

The language feels more updated and modern than in the previous Manga Classics I've read, which was a little jarring, but I was mostly okay with it.  

This is a minor quibble, but I really disliked the goatee they gave Mr. Knightley.  It looked like a villain's goatee from a cartoon, and I was not a fan.  

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: G for clean and unobjectionable.

This has been the 32nd book read off my TBR shelves for #TheUnreadShelfProject2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)