Tuesday, May 31, 2022

"What Katy Did" by Susan Coolidge

What DID Katy do?  Oh, Katy does a lot of things.  Katy and her little siblings play, and sing, and read, and make messes, and get in trouble, and get hurt, and get well again, and rip their clothes, and get scolded... in other words, Katy and her siblings have childhoods.  Full and rich childhoods.

I can't believe I'd never read this book before.  I would have loved it as a kid!  It's got exactly the sort of chummy flavor I've long valued, like the Anne books and the Ramona books.  I would have spent a lot of time imagining I was friends with Katy, like I did with Anne and Ramona, when I was a kid.  Oh well, at least I've read it now!  And I have both sequels waiting on my TBR shelves!

I've seen people compare this to Anne of Green Gables a lot, as if Katy is a sort of proto-Anne, but I think she's a proto-Pollyanna.  In fact, there's quite a lot of Pollyanna in this book, including Katy suffering a terrible accident and having to learn a lot from it about how to handle life.  She struggles with that a great deal, but realistically, and the author doesn't offer either the character or the audience any pat answers on how to endure hardship.  She shows that it takes a lot of patience, learning, and willingness to try over and over.  I was impressed.

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: G.  It's totally appropriate for all ages.  


This is my 43rd book read and reviewed for my third Classics Club list -- getting close to that goal of fifty!  It's also my 23rd book read from my TBR shelves for #TheUnreadShelfProject2022.

6 comments:

  1. I read What Katy Did often as a child--for the longest time, my siblings and I would play 'kikeri', the game in the book, and we had so much fun. It's such a good book and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    I think the only sequel I've read is What Katy Did At School, and that was good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eva, I have to say, Kikeri did sound fun! A bit dangerous, but fun.

      I have both What Katy Did at School and What Katy Did Next, so look for reviews of them this summer too.

      Delete
  2. What Katy Did was a great story for sure! I read it when I was about 11 or 12, I think.

    The sequel was really good, too. If there were more books after #2, I was never aware of them. :)

    Lydia from https://lydiaschoch.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lydia, it is the perfect book for that age. I think my girls will enjoy it. There's a third called What Katy Did Next that takes place after What Katy Did at School. I think there may be one about Clover too?

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. There is a movie of it! The lady who played Anne (megan follows) is in it :) (not as katy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria, oh, cool! I did not know Megan Follows was in the movie version, just that there was one. As soon as I read your comment, I thought she must play cousin Helen, then, and it looks like she does! How lovely!

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)