Sunday, March 28, 2021

"Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" by J. K. Rowling

This is my favorite Harry Potter book.  It's the book that made me a real fan of the series, and it's the book that gave me my favorite character in that universe, Sirius Black.

I love this book so much, I lingered over it and made it last me for days and days instead of gobbling it down like I did the first two.  I would pause at favorite bits and savor them.  I reread my favorite page in the whole series multiple times.  I stopped and reread my favorite two chapters.  I let myself savor the story, the characters, the writing.  It was a glorious reread.

Happy times.

I was very much struck, this time, with Snape's correct assessment of Harry's character flaws.  He says, "famous Harry Potter is a law unto himself.  Let the ordinary people worry about his safety!  Famous Harry Potter goes where he wants to, with no thought for the consequences" (p. 284).  How right you are, Snape!  Harry really does think he can do just about anything, and so far, he's gotten out of some bad scrapes pretty handily that he wouldn't have really needed to get out of if he hadn't gotten himself into them in the first place.  

This is a common thing in kids books, where kids just ignore the wise adults and go their merry way and solve everything on their own by doing ridiculously dangerous things.  I'm glad Rowling addresses that issue in her series, that she shows that this is NOT a good way to go about things, especially as the series progresses.  Yes, Harry is not an ordinary boy... but he's also only a boy.  And his stubborn belief that He Knows Best does have serious consequences at times.  As Lupin says about himself and his friends at Harry's age, "We were young, thoughtless -- carried away with our own cleverness" (p. 355).  It's a dangerous business, being young and thinking you're invincible.

Part of me wants to just stop here, with a vast array of possibilities ahead for Sirius and Harry, everything hopeful and unknown.  I won't.  I'll keep rereading the series.  But I'm also going to very much enjoy the next couple of weeks before I start book four, of living in this in-between world for a bit.

(Mine from my Instagram account.)

Particularly Good Bits:

Meanwhile, in the rest of the castle, the usual magnificent Christmas decorations had been put up, despite the fact that hardly any of the students remained to enjoy them.  Thick streamers of holly and mistletoe were strung along the corridors, mysterious lights shone from inside every suit of armor, and the Great Hall was filled with its usual twelve Christmas trees, glittering with golden stars.  A powerful and delicious smell of cooking pervaded the corridors, and by Christmas Eve, it had grown so strong that even Scabbers poked his nose out of the shelter of Ron's pocket to sniff hopefully at the air (p. 222).

"What was there to be gained by fighting the most evil wizard who has ever existed?" said Black, with a terrible fury in his face.  "Only innocent lives, Peter!" (p. 375).

Black's gaunt face broke into the first true smile Harry had seen upon it.  The difference it made was startling, as though a person ten years younger were shining through the starved mask; for a moment, he was recognizable as the man who had laughed at Harry's parents' wedding (p. 379).  (That's basically my favorite paragraph in the whole series.)

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: PG for some rude humor, mild bad language, peril to children, discussion of executions, and the very scary Dementors.

8 comments:

  1. 'Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban' is also my favorite in the series as well. I did wish Sirius Black didn't have the end that he did. I don't think he deserves it since he was pretty much locked away for so many years and with people thinking he did the bad things.

    I've only read the series twice. One of these days, I'll read the entire series in their original British version. I was sad and a bit annoyed to find I've been reading the Americanize version. Why they did Americanize books, I don't know, it just seems a bit dumb.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lissa, how fun that it's your favorite too! I also wish he'd had a longer arc, but his death does serve a purpose as far as pushing Harry to mature... I just wish we'd had more time with him.

      Because these are aimed at kids, I have no problem with them having 'translated' them into American English. It would be fun to read the English-English versions too, to see what kinds of fun Britishisms she used, but so many kids aren't going to understand what words like 'loo' and 'lorry' mean. Not to mention the whole biscuit/cookie, scone/biscuit, chip/french fry, crisp/chip issue...

      Delete
  2. I love this book! I read this book in 24 hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ivy Miranda, that's so fun! The first time I read it, I inhaled it too. Though I think the only one of the series I ever read straight through was the last one -- I had the night off and avoided the internet and talking to people until I'd finished it so I wouldn't be spoiled by anyone.

      Delete
  3. This one's my favorite, because it's so unique, charming, and has my literary boyfriend in it -- Remus Lupin. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charity, aww, your HP boyfriend and mine are buddies!

      Delete
  4. I love your description of this as a "glorious reread". It's fun to go back and remember when I read them the first time and didn't know how things worked out. I thought it was so cool that Harry had a "father figure" in Sirius Black and how Sirius Black had to go undercover. Of course reading them again after you know how things turn out has its enjoyments, too, as you have described so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dale, yes, it is fun to remember not knowing how the whole thing went! Though this is my first time rereading the series since the final book came out, so it's neat reading it and knowing how it all is connected in the end too.

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)