Monday, March 22, 2021

S&S Read-Along: Ch. 17 & 18

I love how much we get to learn about Edward Ferrars in these two chapters!  Like that he knows how to make Elinor laugh.  We finally get to hear him say more than a sentence or two, and I don't know about you, but I am charmed.  I had forgotten that he's actually kind of sarcastic!  But also kind.  He mocks Marianne about her devotion to Romantic ideals about scenery and the outdoors, but not in a mean way.  His is a self-deprecating sort of sarcasm -- he insists he just doesn't know enough about Romantic sensibilities to please her with his descriptions of scenery and so on, but at the same time, he actually shows that he has a pretty detailed knowledge of such things.

And he makes Elinor laugh.  Which is awesome.

And I love this description of himself:  "I never wish to offend, but I am so foolishly shy, that I often seem negligent, when I am only kept back by my natural aukwardness [sic]" (p. 178).  That sounds exactly like me.  I am shy and socially awkward, and so often will either say the wrong thing at the wrong moment, or not say anything and make the other person feel awkward.  I am extremely bad at small talk, especially with people I don't know well.  I will sit there thinking, "I should say something!  I should ask them a question!  What can we talk about now?  I am failing at this conversation thing again!" and just... hate on myself inside.  Ugh.  Naturally awkward and foolishly shy, that's me.

Oh, and I have totally been told I'm not shy, I'm reserved.  I think the person who said that meant that being reserved was better than just being shy, but it struck me the opposite.  I don't want people to think I'm reserved, I want them to think I'm nice!  Quiet, but nice!  Argh!  Edward, I feel your pain.

The whole thing with that ring he's wearing is very mysterious though, eh?  And he's embarrassed by it -- very different from Willoughby, who would probably be singing little songs about how on the first day of Christmas, his true love gave to him a lock of hair to wear in a ring so everyone could see it all the time.

I had to laugh aloud over this line:  "With the assistance of his mother-in-law, Sir John was not long in discovering that the name of Ferrars began with an F" (p. 188).  Like, my dude, what OTHER letter would it begin with?  Cracked me up.

Discussion Questions:

1.  Would you rather be called shy or reserved?  Have you ever been called either one?

2.  Do you identify with the idea of buying multiple copies of favorite books just to give them a good home?  (I have totally felt the urge to buy books I dearly love and already own at yard sales or thrift stores because then I would know they will be properly appreciated.  It's a weird urge, but very real.)

14 comments:

  1. I honestly cannot say whether I am shy, reserved, or both. I am not big on talking to strangers, so there's usually awkward silence at the table if I'm seated with people I do not know, but I can be friendly enough if I want to be. I'd say I fall on the reserved side of things, since a lot of the time people don't know what I'm feeling or what's going on with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charity, I wonder if "reserved" really means that a person doesn't just reveal everything about themselves to people they don't know well? If so, then yes, I guess I am reserved. I will tell many small things to people, like that I loved or disliked a movie or book, or what my favorite food is, or whatever. But I don't confide easily. At all. Not even in my husband, sometimes. So maybe that's being reserved? But I'm also shy and sometimes stink at making conversation with people I do really like and know well, much less casual acquaintances or strangers.

      Delete
  2. I think I can be reserved, but I can come across extroverted because I talk a lot and start conversations.

    I have a few copies of some books, but I tend to get rid of one, if I find one I like better.

    It was nice to get to seem more of Edward. Him being sarcastic was surprising in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skye, that's an interesting combo!

      Only certain books "deserve" multiple copies on my shelves, so I do occasionally upgrade a non-loved copy of a book I like to one that's prettier or more to my liking.

      I like the quietly sassy people who surprise me like Edward :-)

      Delete
  3. I think deep down I'm really shy (so my hubby says), but I make an effort at conversation with anyone I'm around to cover the awkward silences. Lots of people laugh at little things I say, so sometimes I'm humorous, I guess. And I love being around people, which seems to say that I'm not really shy at all.???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom, I think you're a shy extrovert. You enjoy being around people and draw energy from that, but you also don't always know what to say or feel comfortable talking to people you don't know. And I think Dad is a non-shy introvert who can talk to anyone about anything, but draws energy from being alone or with only his family and is drained by being with other people. He's never going to agree with that assessment because he equates shy with introvert, but... that's how I see it.

      Delete
  4. I love Edward's sense of humor and his sweetness. Also the Willoughby contrast is so great, you pointed out his inconsiderate joke the last time I think, and this chapter ends with Edward teasing Marianne, gently, but then when he realizes how serious she was about Willoughby he is shocked, because he wouldn't have made light of it.

    1. Would you rather be called shy or reserved? Have you ever been called either one?

    Have . . . I . . . been called shy or reserved . . . ahahahahahahaha. Actually, I can be often extremely reserved at first, it's just that once I've let the ice melt, well, I don't have any balance.

    2. Do you identify with the idea of buying multiple copies of favorite books just to give them a good home? (I have totally felt the urge to buy books I dearly love and already own at yard sales or thrift stores because then I would know they will be properly appreciated. It's a weird urge, but very real.)

    Not to give them a good home, but to have different gorgeous covers of the same books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Livia, yes, I like that Edward realizes he misread that situation by teasing Marianne because he thought if other people were teasing her, it must be a joke. He didn't know that Mrs. Jennings is like this.

      Interesting that you can slide quickly from reserved to open!

      Delete
  5. I very much enjoyed meeting Edward in these chapters! The thing with the ring puzzled me a bit though. If he is embarrassed by it, why does he keep wearing it? I suppose there probably is an explanation, but it seems odd to me.

    1. I have been called shy, not reserved. To me, "reserved" has an element of "deliberately holding back" that seems less pleasant than "shy," meaning "not comfortable being social."

    I also noticed that quote of Edward's and thought it a pretty good description of me. I suspect it's a relatively common feeling.

    2. I have bought multiple copies of books to give them a good home (elsewhere), but it is extremely rare. Most of the time, I just recommend the book, not often do I go ahead and buy it for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roxann, there will be a reason for the ring, don't worry. Just a little mystery for us to ponder at the moment.

      I also feel like "reserved" is less pleasant than "shy" because you're right, it has the connotation of actively withholding something, versus being a character trait you're born with.

      Delete
  6. 1. Would you rather be called shy or reserved? Have you ever been called either one?

    - I'm definitely both. I'm extremely introverted and I don't open up to people easily.

    2. Do you identify with the idea of buying multiple copies of favorite books just to give them a good home? (I have totally felt the urge to buy books I dearly love and already own at yard sales or thrift stores because then I would know they will be properly appreciated. It's a weird urge, but very real.)

    - Not really, because I simply don't have the bookshelf space and if I buy a book, I buy it to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ivy, bookshelf space is all that holds me back from giving a good home to alllll the books I love. My husband says this is also related to my tendency to buy dying plants and nurse them back to health.

      Delete
  7. Lol, have to comment that Sir John was hearing Ferrars phonetically so it could bring the assumption that the name may be spelled Pherrars (Brit prounciation being what it is)?.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)