Thursday, July 6, 2023

"Sackett" by Louis L'Amour

I really loved Tell Sackett's dry, self-deprecating humor.  He was a charming narrator, and I thoroughly enjoyed his wry observations about people and life.

The story in this one is not my favorite -- too much gold-hunting, maybe?  Too many people impinging on Tell's plans?  The love interest did annoy me a bit because she was so easily swayed against him, and then she just shifted right back onto his team with too much ease too.

The part where Tell has to survive an ice storm high in the mountains was pretty spectacular, and I loved that he helped found a new town.  But overall, this one grabbed me less than the previous books in the Sackett series.  It was still enjoyable, don't get me wrong.

Particularly Good Bits:

Folks talk about human nature, but what they mean is not human nature, but the way they are brought up (p. 55).

But the fact of the matter is, no man can shape his life according to woman's thinking.  Nor should any woman try to influence a man toward her way.  There must be give and take between them (p. 85).

Women are practical.  They get right down to bedrock about things, and no woman is going to waste much time remembering a man who was fool enough to kill himself.  Thing to do is live for love, not die for it (p. 117).

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: PG-10 for violence, dangerous situations, and some mild cussing.


This is my second book read from my Ten Books of Summer list and my 40th read from my TBR shelves for #TheUnreadShelfProject2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)