Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Top Ten Tuesday: Hello, My Name Is...

This week's Top Ten Tuesday prompt from That Artsy Reader Girl is "Books with Character Names in the Title."  So here are my ten favorite books with the name of a character in the title.  


Each title is linked to my review if I've reviewed that book, and my movie-style ratings for them are in parentheses so you have some idea of their content level.

(All book photos are mine from my Instagram account.)

1. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (PG) -- A young woman continually resists men's efforts to control her by obeying God and her conscience instead.

2. Shane by Jack Schaefer (PG) -- A stranger joins a family and saves them from destruction, albeit at great cost.


3. Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery (G) -- An irrepressible orphan gets adopted by a taciturn old maid and her shy brother, to the ultimate benefit of all involved.

4. The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum (R) -- An assassin with amnesia tries to track down enemies he can't remember with the help of a brilliant accountant.


5. The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (PG-13) -- A literature detective tries to rescue a kidnapped Jane Eyre and return her to her rightful book. 

6. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J. K. Rowling (PG) -- Harry Potter is doggedly pursued by an escaped prisoner seeking revenge.


7. The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins by Dr. Seuss (G) -- A boy with magical hats falls afoul of an outraged king and his spoiled nephew.

8. Jane of Lantern Hill by L. M. Montgomery (G) -- A girl gets to know her father and learns more about her true self in the process.


9. Homer Price by Robert McCloskey (G) -- A town full of quirky and sometimes eccentric people have gentle adventures.

10. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (PG-13) -- A lonely millionaire learns you can't repeat, recapture, or rewrite the past.


There!  That's my ten.  Are you a fan of any of these?  Does it you surprise you that any of them made my top ten list?

8 comments:

  1. I like the way you write the synosis for the books, quite accurate I think. I only read #1, 3 (love it), 5 (I thought this wasn't that much fun as there was very little bit of Jane Eyre), 6 (my favorite harry potter), and 8 (a pretty good book). Good list.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lissa! I figured that would be more interesting than just titles.

      Delete
  2. I love ANNE OF GREEN GABLES and the Harry Potter books. I just read THE GREAT GATSBY for the first time since college with my son, who had to read it for junior English, and I still can't stand the book! Ha ha. I like its message, but the story itself makes me crazy. LOL.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, lol! Well, I didn't care for Gatsby the first time I read it, and I know a lot of people who never do.

      Delete
  3. The Great Gatsby, Prisoner of Azkaban, and Homer Price--great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know (and love) exactly half of these--Jane Eyre, Shane, Anne of Green Gables, Jane of Lantern Hill, and Homer Price! The Great Gatsby and The Eyre Affair are on my TBR.

    Oops, correction! Just looked it up and I actually have read The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins as a kid. And really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eva, well, I am glad you have read Bartholomew Cubbins because it is just such a treat of a book. Especially the illustrations. So good.

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)