Friday, February 4, 2022

"The Depths We'll Go To" ed. by Alex Silvius

This is an enjoyable collection of short stories and poetry all centered around the sea.  There are sailors, mermaids, and shipwrecks galore, in lots of different styles and genres.  Most of the stories are speculative fiction or fantasy.  Some of the writing is quite professional, and some of it reminded me of what my friends and I were writing in college, especially the "ambiguous ending" sorts of stories we were so fond of at that time in our lives.

My favorites are as follows:

Short Stories
  • "Edge of a Knife" by Beka Gremikova
  • "The Mermaid's Soul" by Beka Gremikova
  • "Mernaido" by Abigail Falanga
  • "Tears of the Sea" by Savannah Jezowski
  • "The Selkie's Gift" by Katie Hanna
  • "To Touch the Earth" by Beka Gremikova

Poetry
  • "Begins to Thaw" by Alissa J. Zavalianos
  • "Deadweight" by Ariel Choate and Anne J. Hill
  • "Drowning" by Cassandra hamm
  • "Master of the Waves" by Savannah Jezowski

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: PG for a little mild language here and there.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the review! We appreciate it so much! I'm really glad you enjoyed the anthology <3

    Oh my goodness, YES. Pretty much everything Beka writes is my favorite. She's so talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Katie! I didn't realize, as I was reading, how many of the things I liked especially well were by Gremikova. It's impressive!

      Delete
    2. She won Havok's Most Prolific Author award 2 years in a row! It's amazing how many stories she produces--how many REALLY GOOD stories.

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)