Wednesday, February 3, 2021

"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J. K. Rowling

I have not read the Harry Potter books since 2007, when I reread the first six books to prepare for the seventh book's release.  So, I've decided it's high time to reread the whole series, and I'm calling 2021 My Year with Harry Potter.  

I've read Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone three times before, which is once more than books 2 through 6 and twice more than book 7, which I've only read once.  The reason I've read this one an extra time is that, when I was a senior in college, I did an internship working for one of my college's literature professors.  I helped her teach classes, write tests, grade tests and papers, and so on.  It was great experience that has helped me a lot in teaching my own kids, my nieces and nephews, and the kids in our homeschool co-op.  I helped primarily with two classes: Poetry and Drama, and Creative Writing.  And for Creative Writing, this was one of the books the students studied.  I hadn't read this before, so I had to quick read it so I could help teach it.

That first time through, I thought it was reasonably clever and enjoyable, but I didn't love it.  I didn't feel any desire to read more of the series, so that was that.  But in 2004, I started seeing trailers for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban in the theater, and I just loved how they set Shakespeare's "Double, double, toil and trouble" to music.  Really loved it.  And, well, I quite like Gary Oldman.  So that made two reasons why I wanted to see the movie in the theater.  However, I didn't want to see the third movie in a series in the theater without having read the books first.  And possibly seen the first two movies too, so I'd know what they were doing with the stories.  

So I got the first three books and first two movies out of the library.  I reread the first one and still thought it was okay.  Read the second one and thought, hmm, this is getting pretty interesting.  Read the third one and fell madly in love with Sirius Black and the series as a whole.  Even had time to watch the first two movies before going to see the third.  Then read books four and five.  Told myself I wasn't going to buy book six when it came out, but would wait for the library to get it, and then promptly bought a copy the first night it was available because I worked at Walmart on third shift, and there it was, and I could not resist it.  And put in a preorder for the last one, which is another story for another time.

Well, this is the first time I've reread any of these since the last one came out, so it's the first time reading them with full knowledge of how everything turns out.  I have to say, that makes it really poignant to read all about Harry's beginning, and his faith in Dumbledore, and the way he gets treated by Snape, and so on.  I really liked this first book better this time through than any of the previous ones.  It made me laugh aloud so often, and chortle with glee at how cleverly Rowling was setting things up for even the very last book, already here.  Wow.

I think one of the things I love most about these books is the theme of standing by your friends even when you don't agree with them.  That's an idea we need more of right now -- that you can disagree with someone, but not discard or dismiss them.  That it's okay for friends to have different views and ideas and even beliefs, and that friendship is what lets people be comfortable with those differences.

Anyway, I'm eager to dive into book two, but I have to finish a couple other things first before I can.  Soon!

Oh, and if you don't know, in this book, an orphaned boy named Harry Potter learns that he is a wizard when he turns eleven and gets invited to leave his repressive and abusive aunt and uncle to go attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  

Although it has the word 'witchcraft' in the school title, this has nothing to do with actual witchcraft, black magic, the occult, or Satanism.  All the spells are humorous variations of Latin words, all the potions require pretend things like dragon teeth, and you can't do any magic at all if you aren't born a magical person.  I see no danger of this book teaching children -- or adults -- how to do magic. It is entirely, obviously imaginary.

I do see, however, that there could be a danger of people thinking that because the magic in this series is imaginary and harmless, all magic in the real world is also imaginary and harmless.  The Bible teaches us that there is such a thing as black magic, sorcery, and Satan-worship, and that we are to have nothing at all to do with them.  So I make sure my kids and I discuss the difference between fake magic like this and the stuff practiced by the Fairy Godmother in Cinderella, which is harmless make-believe, and the kind of real-life magic that draws its power from Satan and which we must never get anywhere near.

Particularly Good Bits:

Harry felt a great leap of excitement.  He didn't know what he was going to -- but it had to be better than what he was leaving behind (p. 98).

"Always the innocent are the first victims," [Ronan] said.  "So it has been for ages past, so it is now" (p. 253). (In an amazing bit of coincidence, I read this part on the day of the annual March for Life.)

"Me!" said Hermione.  "Books!  And cleverness! There are more important things -- friendship and bravery and -- oh Harry -- be careful!" (p. 287).

"Always use the proper name for things.  Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself" (p. 298).

"There are all kinds of courage," said Dumbledore, smiling.  "It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.  I therefore award ten points to Mr. Neville Longbottom" (p. 306).  (This part makes me cry.)

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: PG for a couple minor cusswords, some rude humor (looking at you, Peeves), and children in peril.

16 comments:

  1. Ya, know...that is a great point: standing by your friends (or even family), even when you disagree or do not stand together on specific issues. That is a great lesson. We all can use a lot of that today.

    I've not read any of these books, and in fact, all five of my kids have been through the series over and over again without me. They have read them to pieces so that we have had to buy new copies.

    Anyway, I never was concerned too much about the wizardry. I've talked about it w/ my kids, and they've not be confused about fiction and reality. (Honestly, later on, three of my older ones have actually turned on Harry!!..even claiming that Rowling is a terrible author!!! Maybe they're just being a little too judgmental? I do not know.)

    Anyway, who knows...maybe one day, when I run out of books, I will pick up the first book for myself. Maybe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, I think it's a lesson every generation needs to learn, and the current world really needs it.

      I don't think that Rowling is an especially good wordsmith, but she is a fantastic storyteller, and that is enough for me :-)

      I think these are well worth the time, and that you would get a huge kick out of spotting all her allusions to classic literature and folklore.

      Delete
    2. That sounds like a great reason to read them....thanks!

      Delete
    3. Ruth, oh, yay! It's a treasure trove of little allusions. Like, I read them BEFORE I read Mansfield Park, and then when I read that for the first time, I was like, "OH! This is why that cat is named Mrs. Norris!!!"

      Delete
  2. I keep hearing that the books are better than the movies, and I liked the movies so I've added them to my list. Love Sirius Black, so I'm glad he has hopefully a big part in the third one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skye, yes, I do think they're better than the movies, though I very much enjoy the movies too. Sirius is not in the books a huge amount either, but more than in the movies, for sure! Especially Order of the Phoenix, which he's in tons. And he's in Goblet of Fire more than the film, too, iirc.

      Delete
  3. I feel like I should read these.... Just because.... and I'm open to loving them, but feel like I should definitely read them to at least know what's what. (The problem is my TBR pile, which is already unconscionably, ridiculously large. *frowning deeply in the direction of my bookshelves*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi, YOU SHOULD. I think you would greatly appreciate them. Maybe when your own little is old enough to enjoy them! I give each of my kids the first book on their 11th birthday, because that's how old Harry turns in it...

      Delete
  4. "you can disagree with someone, but not discard or dismiss them" <- lol wut? ;)

    Kidding. I agree. I love book three the most (LUPIN!!!!) but the first several books have a special place in my heart. I remember being up half the night the first time I read them, because I couldn't put them down, and the same was true last year in my re-read (until I got to book 5, that one drags for me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charity, book 3 is my fave too (SIRIUS!!!!!), but the only one that I remember dragging was 7.

      Delete
  5. I've read the series about a dozen times or so, even despite not reading it for about 5 years (because I was big in the fandom but then got put off because the fandom went kind of wacky). Started a reread back in early December while in the hospital for Covid. Finished the early part of January. It's wonderful to just be able to read the series & enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George, wow! That's amazing! I'm glad you came through Covid okay, and that you had these books to keep you company :-)

      Delete
  6. That's such a fun story of how you got into them! My mom read all of the books to my sisters and me (at different times because at the start my younger sister wasn't old enough). I absolutely love the idea (that you said in a comment above) of giving a copy to your kids when they turn eleven!

    This hits deeply. Lately I've seen so many people "unfriend" each other just because they have different opinions. That is so wrong as friendships and any relationships go much deeper than that! I love Neville (in this book and all of the others) and he really shows that.

    Also, the line about fear making words stronger? Wow, for some reason that's eye opening for me today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MC, it makes me grin cuz it's such a winding road to the fandom, lol.

      My son insists he wants to get the next book on each birthday, so he reads them when he's Harry's age. I've told him when he gets to book five when he's 15, he can just have six and seven too if he wants. We'll see. I've already told my daughter that if she loves book 1, she can also have book 2, but she'll have to wait until she's twelve to get 3.

      The massive tendency to unfriend or block anyone who says something you disagree with is just... terrifying. It's not good to live in a bubble of yes-men.

      Delete
  7. What a great post! I don't remember the year I started reading the Harry Potter books but I know there were only four of them at the time. I enjoyed this one enough to read the second one. That made me read the third one which got me completely hooked! And the third one is still my favorite. I seemed like it took forever for the fifth one to come out but once I knew the release date, I reserved it from my library and got it on the actual day it came out. My kids at the time weren't old enough for them but we do now own a complete set that the kids eventually read. Also, I'm not big on listening to books but I admit the audio versions were great in the car when we would go on longer vacations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dale! It sounds from comments here like the third book is the one that really hooked a lot of us :-) And it tends to be a big favorite.

      I would like to listen to the audio versions some day, when all 3 of my kids are old enough for them. They'd be awesome for long car trips!

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)