Monday, September 23, 2019
Creatures of Middle-earth Quiz
Good morning! Here's our first game for this year's Tolkien Blog Party, and it's all about... I was going to say non-human beings, but the elves and dwarves and hobbits aren't human either. Um. It's about non-speaking... no, that doesn't work either. Whatever. You know what I mean by "creatures," right?
How this game works: read the description of a Middle-earth creature and tell me what creature I'm describing. As in kind of creature, like "horse," not a specific one like "Snowmane."
1. Fiery demons who were once Maiar, but followed Melkor and were doomed with him.
2. Gray as a mouse, big as a house, with arrow-proof skin and fearsome tusks.
3. Tree-like, tall, unhasty beings with deep, dark eyes.
4. Ancient, intelligent, somewhat serpentine being that likes to hoard things and can devastate whole towns when roused.
5. Watchful, slow-moving trees prone to wrath and possessing the ability to hide themselves in shadow.
6. Massive, wolf-like creatures sometimes used as steeds by orcs.
7. Shape-shifting beings that guard treasure or haunt tombs and use fear and hypnotism to capture unwary travelers.
8. Monstrous humanoid creatures with very little intelligence but possessed of great strength.
9. Bred by both Sauron and Saruman, possibly by crossing orcs with men, these brutes have thick legs, bowed backs, and slanted eyes.
10. Someone who would have died, but is kept somewhat alive by dark sorcery.
I'll post the answers and your scores on Saturday! Meanwhile, I'm putting comments on moderation so you can't copy each others' answers.