Saturday, September 12, 2015

What My Kids are Reading #1

I've decided to do a new series on my blog every week or two, in which I share some of the books my kids have been enjoying lately.  I've been trying to figure out a way to share excellent kids books when we find them, and this seems like the ideal way to do so.  My thanks to Jennifer at Healthy Simplicity for inspiring me with her "Library Time" series!

Sam (7)



He's read both The Runaway Princess and The Runaway Dragon by Kate Coombs three or four times since we got them from the library a couple weeks ago.  He's also put them on his birthday list, and told me I need to read them!

I read Dragons at Crumbling Castle and Other Tales by Terry Pratchett first, and approved it for Sam, and I think he's read it twice now.  I thought it was very funny, and if I get a chance before we take it back to the library, I'll do a proper review of it.


Sarah (5) and Tootie (3)


Bubble Trouble by Margaret Mahy, illustrated by Polly Dunbar, is a funny fable about a baby who gets stuck inside a bubble blown by his older sibling, and the town's frantic efforts to rescue him.  It's also kind of a tongue-twister.  My husband has a fondness for tongue-twisters, and he loves reading this, so I leave it to him.

Peanut Butter & Cupcake! by Terry Border is about a piece of peanut-butter-covered bread looking for friends.  The illustrations are actually quirky photographs.

Library Mouse by Daniel Kirk is the first book in one of my kids' favorite series.  Sam and Sarah took their nicknames from these books, which feature a shy mouse named Sam who lives in a library and loves to write and illustrate his own books.

4 comments:

  1. I like your new section - I'm always looking for books my niece could like, so this is perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you find some suggestions she likes :-)

      Delete
  2. I love it! If I can get myself posting Bitsy View again, we can swap ideas! And these are some cute suggestions. Running to the library tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool! We went to the library yesterday, so I'll likely have some new ones to post about soon :-)

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)