You have 20,000 books on your TBR. How in the world do you decide what to read next?
I either pick what I'm in the mood for, or I have to read a book for one of the two book clubs I'm in. I'm definitely a mood reader, so there's really never any good way to predict what I'll read next.
You’re halfway through a book and you’re just not loving it. Do you quit or are you committed?
I give most books 50 pages or 5 chapters to click for me, whichever takes longer. If it's not working for me by that point, I feel free to give up. So if I get halfway through a book and don't love it, I definitely wouldn't feel bad about DNFing it.
The end of the year is coming and you’re so close, but so far away on your Goodreads reading challenge. Do you try to catch up and how?
I don't really care much about my Goodreads challenge numbers. I set it for 55 books every year, which is a little more than one book a week. I generally don't have a problem hitting that. Sometimes I far surpass it. Sometimes I don't.
![]() |
| (My 2026 reading so far. All photos in this post are from my Instagram.) |
The covers of a series you love do. not. match. How do you cope?
I frown, growl, complain loudly, and roll my eyes at the publishers. Why do they do this to us???
Every one and their mother loves a book you really don’t like. Who do you bond with over shared feelings?
My best friend, probably. She and I both rarely read super popular books because we both rarely enjoy them.
You’re reading a book and you are about to start crying in public. How do you deal?
It happens. I cried in the break room at work over Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Work friends were kind about it -- I think someone even brought the box of tissues over for me. If strangers see me crying over a book and find it weird, who cares?
A sequel of a book you loved just came out, but you’ve forgotten a lot from the prior novel. Will you re-read the book? Skip the sequel? Try to find a synopsis on Goodreads? Cry in frustration?!
I quite often will just re-read the book. If I loved it, that means I want to re-read it at some point anyway, so why not right then?
You do not want anyone. ANYONE. borrowing your books. How do you politely tell people nope when they ask?
I'm not super possessive about most of my books, but I do expect loans to come back to me in the same basic condition I loaned them out in. And it would be nice to get them back within 3 or 4 months. I've been known to buy a new copy to loan a friend if I know they either take a year to return books OR have a bad habit of destroying books by cracking their spines until the titles are unreadable and the books won't close properly ever again. But I have also been known to use loaning a book to a friend like that as a reason to buy a prettier or cooler edition for myself, too ;-)
You’ve picked up and put down 5 books in the last month. How do you get over your reading slump?
Well, I often have three to five books going at an time, so that wouldn't be super weird. But when I am in a reading slump, I usually read a Nero Wolfe mystery by Rex Stout, and then I'm all good again.
There are so many new books coming out that you’re dying to read! How many do you actually buy?
Only the ones I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get from the library (indie books, mainly) OR that are from my two or three auto-buy authors. I don't have the budget or the space to buy every book I want to read. (When my husband reads this, he may be shocked by this answer...)
After you’ve bought the new books you can’t wait to get to, how long do they sit on your shelf before you get to them?
A day? A year? A decade? I'm a mood reader, so there's no way of knowing, really. I have a couple books on my shelves that were given to me before my son was born. He just started college.
I am not tagging anyone with this because I'm tired today, but if you would like to fill this tag out, here is a fresh list of the questions:
You have 20,000 books on your TBR. How in the world do you decide what to read next?
You’re halfway through a book and you’re just not loving it. Do you quit or are you committed?
The end of the year is coming and you’re so close, but so far away on your Goodreads reading challenge. Do you try to catch up and how?
The covers of a series you love do. not. match. How do you cope?
Every one and their mother loves a book you really don’t like. Who do you bond with over shared feelings?
You’re reading a book and you are about to start crying in public. How do you deal?
A sequel of a book you loved just came out, but you’ve forgotten a lot from the prior novel. Will you re-read the book? Skip the sequel? Try to find a synopsis on Goodreads? Cry in frustration?!
You do not want anyone. ANYONE. borrowing your books. How do you politely tell people nope when they ask?
You’ve picked up and put down 5 books in the last month. How do you get over your reading slump?
There are so many new books coming out that you’re dying to read! How many do you actually buy?
After you’ve bought the new books you can’t wait to get to, how long do they sit on your shelf before you get to them?




Thanks for doing the tag! (Having fun is DEFINITELY the main thing! XD)
ReplyDeleteLoved reading your answers! Aah, Order of the Phoenix is SO emotional! Am I right in assuming the part that got you was toward the end when Harry and Dumbledore have that conversation. It gets me every time! ðŸ˜
Hopeful, actually, no -- the part that had me bawling was the completely unexpected death of my favorite character in the whole series. Sirius Black is who made me go from liking the Harry Potter series okay to really loving it to begin with... so yeah, Order of the Phoenix is devastating for me.
Delete(So that's actually what I meant, XD! I was just trying to avoid saying it out right for spoilers-sake XD)
DeleteIt's in particular Harry's reaction to that death and how it comes out combined with his frustration with how things have gone throughout the whole book that was just so emotional for me.
Haha! I don't worry about spoilers in comments, as long as the person I am replying to has clearly read the book/seen the movie.
DeleteFor me, it was the loss of my favorite character, combined with the loss of a potentially good and happy godfather-son future together, which they had both been looking forward to so much... it just makes me cry every time.
Right?! It was SO unfair! ðŸ˜
DeleteWhat happened to your Hobbit / Tolkien Blog parties?
ReplyDeleteCharlotte, I held the last Tolkien Blog Party in 2024 -- it was the twelfth, and I decided that was a great number to end on. Participation had been dropping every year, it was getting harder and harder to think of new games, and I... decided twelve in a row was enough?
DeleteOh, that's too bad! I was waiting for them to come back since I've never participated before. Thank you so much for hosting them for twelve years. That's incredible!
DeleteMay I have your permission to steal the 2024 tag? I really wanted to do that one, but ended up coming in way too late! XD
Hopeful, sorry about that! Definitely feel free to fill out any of the tags you like :-) I haven't archived any of the posts, so they're still free for the perusing/copying/etc.
Delete