Sidney Zoom is an independently wealthy man (somewhat like The Shadow, who also was a big pulp fiction hero) who uses unorthodox means (again, like The Shadow) to rescue people in despair and right wrongs that have been committed against them. He lives on a yacht with his retired police dog, Rip, and employs a sympathetic secretary to help carry out his habit of dispensing justice and hope. He loves to wander the city streets at night in search of a lost person on the verge of suicide or some other desperate act, so he can swoop in, learn about their problems, and solve things for them. Usually, this involves him concocting some barely legal scam. Often, it involves Zoom donning an elaborate disguise.
Even though the bounds of my credulity got stretched again and again, these stories were such enjoyable romps that I didn't really care if they were plausible or not. Sidney Zoom himself is a delightful enigma, and his dog is a perfect sidekick for the era. Think Rin-Tin-Tin, Lassie, and Bullet all rolled up in one. I can't quite put my finger on why I loved them so much -- maybe because they demanded only that I hang on for the wild ride in every story, not that I believe they could exist.
If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: PG-13 for a lot of violence and crime, and occasional mild cussing. No actual gore, and no smut.

No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think?
Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.
(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)