Saturday, September 12, 2026

"Major Fireworks" by B. R. Goodwin

This third Sugartree book may be my favorite one yet.  I enjoyed it a lot more than Honeysuckle Breeze, and a bit more than Southern Snowtoo.  I really, genuinely liked both main characters, and I enjoyed spending time with both of them, not just one or the other.  Makes a huge difference.

Dakota Remillard is trying to figure out how to make a difference in the world, after spending the first few years of his adult life treading water, metaphorically.  He's also trying to figure out why he can't seem to get himself to quit being interested in Sadie, the manager of his family's small-town coffee shop.  She's made it clear she doesn't want to date him, but he can't stop hoping she'll magically change her mind.

Sadie wishes Dakota would just go away and quit being so interesting and kind and hopeful, because then she could stop feeling bad for disappointing him repeatedly.  She's got too much baggage from her past to consider trying to share a life with anyone.  Her parents are in the middle of a huge life change, so her whole world is in flux, and she just wants everything to calm down.

And so, of course, Dakota and Sadie set out on an epic road trip to pick up coffee beans for the shop, and everything goes kaplooey, until it doesn't.  As one expects.

B. R. Goodwin consistently makes me chuckle aloud with her books, and this one is no exception.  She's also aces at writing relatable Christian human beings. 

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: PG-16 for some innuendo about a married couple's plans for the evening, lots of attraction between a man and a woman, many instances of dialog between friends being pretty open about their attraction to other people, and a discussion involving French kissing.  No smut, but more smoochy content than I would hand to a young teen.  No cussing or violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)