Thursday, September 8, 2022

"These Happy Golden Years" by Laura Ingalls Wilder

As a kid, this tied with The Long Winter for my least-favorite Laura Ingalls Wilder book.  It's all about growing up, and I really don't like stories about growing up.  I still don't, and I loathed them as a kid.

I actually quite enjoyed this book this time, though.  Watching Laura slowly come to understand why Almanzo Wilder wanted to court her, and slowly start to value him the way he valued her -- that was delightful.  And seeing Laura mature from a fifteen-year-old who couldn't imagine ever wanting to leave her parents' home permanently to an eighteen-year-old who was ready to start her own home was just a joy.

I totally forgot about the scary chapter "A Knife in the Dark," though.  I wonder if my mom skipped that when she read it aloud to us?  I almost think she must have.  I did read these on my own at least once, as a teen, but I really didn't remember that chapter at all.

Particularly Good Bits:

"The end of one thing is only the beginning of another" (p. 237).

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: G.  Good, clean, and uplifting.  EDIT: except that one chapter with the knife incident, as George pointed out in the comments.  That's at least PG.


This is my 49th book read and reviewed for my third Classics Club list!  I'm nearly to book 50 again!!!

6 comments:

  1. Great review! I always loved this book because her romance with Almanzo is so sweet. I'm afraid he forever spoiled me for all other male love interests by being so steady and reliable and NICE ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! Yes, the romance is so understated and feels so realistic. And Almanzo is amazing :-D

      Delete
  2. This is my favorite of the LH series. For now. I understand why your mom may have skipped the knife scene. Or maybe you totally blocked it out of your mind. It must have been terrifying, and to know that Laura (according to the story) never told her parents. Could you imagine Laura being one of our kids today and withholding such info?! She knew her parents would have made her stop teaching school and brought her home. And yet she stuck it out. Different times, for sure.

    Congrats on almost completing your 3rd CC list. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, I think it's become a favorite for me too.

      I could imagine myself not telling my parents that, at fifteen. At seventeen, I didn't tell them how much my back was starting to hurt from my waitressing job, or how much I hated the job, because I didn't want to seem whiny or childish. (I did mention that my back hurt after work a few times, but my parents seemed to think it was not important, so I quit talking about it, alas. I've had recurring lower back trouble ever since. Sigh.)

      Delete
  3. Well, Rated G except for that one aforementioned chapter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George, that's a good point -- I'll amend my post.

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)