Saturday, September 24, 2022

Answers to Tolkien or Not? Quiz


Here are the answers to the "Tolkien or Not?" quiz!  Scores are below.

1.  In doubt, a man of worth will trust to his own wisdom.  Tolkien!  (Hama says this in The Two Towers.)

2.  I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.  Tolkien!  (Gandalf says this in The Return of the King.)

3.  To be honest, as this world goes, is to be one man picked out of ten thousand.  NOT!  (It's from Hamlet by William Shakespeare)

4.  Help oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the wise falter.  Tolkien! (Mithrandir says this in The Silmarillion.)

5.  When heads are at a loss, bodies must serve.  Tolkien!  (Boromir says this in The Fellowship of the Ring.)

6.  I will not trust in my bow, nor shall my sword save me.  NOT!  (It's from the Bible, Psalm 44:6)

7.  There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark.  Tolkien! (Aragorn says this in The Two Towers.)

8.  We have all a better guide in ourselves, if we would attend to it, than any other person can be.  NOT!  (It's from Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen.)

9.  If you have walked all these days with closed ears and mind asleep, wake up now!  Tolkien!  (Gandalf says this in The Return of the King.)

10.  If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.  Tolkien!  (Thorin says this in The Hobbit.)

Scores

Charlotte - 10
Bethani Theresa - 9
Eva - 9
Rose - 9
Lydia - 7
Lissa - 6
Katie - 1

I'm not surprised this was a trickier game, but I love how many of you know that #8 was Jane Austen :-D

6 comments:

  1. I got number one wrong because it sounded like Proverbs :')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethani, a LOT of people did not get that first one!

      Delete
  2. I'm surprised I got 6 right when I mostly guessed them.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Number 6 sounded so familiar, Tolkien's writing can sound so biblical sometimes I didn't realize it's from a Psalm.
    I've just started reading Sense and Sensibility for the first time around a week ago so I didn't know number 8 was a quote from it but I like it. I'm enjoying the book very much so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, yes! And he sounds very Shakespearean sometimes.

      Good for you for reading Sense and Sensibility! I like that one a lot.

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)