Friday, September 2, 2022

"Great Expectations" (Manga Classics) by Charles Dickens (original story), Crystal S. Chan (story adaptation), and Nokman Poon (art)

I read the full Great Expectations twenty-some years ago because I was all excited that the BBC made a movie version starring Ioan Gruffudd in 1999.  My family didn't have cable, so I didn't get to watch that version, but I did buy the book and read it.  And didn't like it much, to be honest.  So much so that I STILL haven't seen the version starring Ioan Gruffudd even though he's one of my favorite actors to this day.

I will not deny that I got this Manga Classics version hoping that I would like it enough that it would prompt me to actually, finally watch that BBC movie.  And I think it did the trick!  I read this whole thing in one afternoon, and I think I really have a good grasp of the story now, so I'm eager to watch the 1999 movie.  It feels like a good sort of story to experience in the fall, doesn't it?

Like all the other Manga Classics I've been reading over the past few months, this book really brings out the story in an understandable and enjoyable way.  The art by Nokman Poon was alternately charming and creepy, as befits the story.

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: PG for a couple old-fashioned cuss words, lots of creepy spiderwebs and stuff for the Miss Havisham scenes, and some violent parts involving escaped convicts.  Like the other Manga Classics, it's intended for middle school on up.

This is my 44th book read off my TBR shelves for #TheUnreadShelfProject2022.

2 comments:

  1. That is a *really* interesting cover, with all the jewels and coins flying out at the reader. I'm not sure how well it fits the actual story, but I'm captivated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eva, isn't it spiffy? The art is by the same person who did the art for The Count of Monte Cristo, and similarly cool, though I'm afraid Pip is nowhere near as handsome and compelling as Edmond Dantes. But, then, who is? ;-)

      The coins bear the portraits of two major characters in the story who have a lot of influence on Pip. It's a cool cover, for sure.

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)