Want to hang out with me in Middle-earth for a day or two? Wouldn't that be an absolute dream? Well, we can imagine we're doing just that, using the following to determine where we'll meet and what we'll do. Share your adventure in the comments so we can all enjoy!
Where do you and I meet up? Your favorite warm beverage determines our adventure's location:
- Coffee = Minas Tirith
- Tea = Hobbiton
- Hot Chocolate = Rivendell
- Hot Apple Cider = Edoras
- Chai = Lothlorien
- Mulled wine = Moria
- Other = The Lonely Mountain
Who else comes on this adventure with us? The first initial of your best friend's first name determines our companions:
- A-E = Frodo and Samwise
- F-J = Merry and Pippin
- K-O = Bilbo and Gandalf
- P-T = Legolas and Gimli
- U-Z = Eomer and Eowyn
What are we setting off to achieve today? Your favorite movie genre determines our quest:
- Action/adventure = Stop your half-brother from taking over the world with his creepy army
- Comedy = Find the perfect location for a birthday party
- Drama = Escort three weary warriors home and reunite them with their families
- Fantasy = Rescue your intended spouse from the clutches of your rival
- Mystery = Recover a priceless relic covered in fabulous jewels
- Period Drama = Stop a greedy landlord from turning your parents out of their house
- Romantic Comedy = Deliver a decades-old love note that got lost in the post office
- Sci-Fi = Reunite you with your father and free your allies from an evil tyrant with his help
- Thriller = Convince the authorities you are not an enemy spy
- Western = Find the low-down, dirty skunk that shot your pa
- 0 = We are attacked by giant spiders, but successfully beat them off.
- 1 = We are pursued by a band of Uruk-hai for three whole days, until they get bored.
- 2 = We lose all our food while trying to cross a fast river.
- 3 = We almost get eaten by trolls, but are rescued by a friend at the last minute.
- 4 = We get lost and wander around a swamp for two days before finding the road again.
- 5 or more = We get sidetracked by hunting for treasure, which we find.
How does it all turn out? The time you went to bed last night determines whether we succeed or fail:
- Before 9 pm: We succeed, and everyone lives happily ever after.
- Between 9 and 10 pm: We succeed, but not all of us are happy about it.
- Between 10 and 11 pm: We succeed, but we wish we hadn't.
- Between 11 pm and midnight: We succeed, but you take an arrow to the knee.
- Between midnight and 1 am: We fail, and you and I both get thrown in a dungeon.
- After 1 am: We fail, and everyone dies.
Now just put that all together!
For instance, I would meet up with you at Rivendell, along with Frodo and Samwise, and we would all set off to find the low-down, dirty skunk that shot my pa. We are pursued by a band of Uruk-hai for three whole days, but they get bored and go home, so we eventually succeed, though I take an arrow to the knee and limp for the rest of my life. Sigh. Oh well, it could be worse!