Tuesday, July 26, 2016

"Greenwillow" by B. J. Chute

She's done it again!  Heidi Peterson has convinced me to read a book I'd never heard of before, and now I've found a new favorite.  This happened with The Blue Castle last year, and again with Greenwillow this summer.  Thank you again and again, Heidi!

This is a quiet, gentle story of people living in an idyllic patch of England's countryside a hundred years ago or so.  Mainly, it concerns a young girl named Dorrie, who is a live-in maid-of-all-work for two sweet, elderly sisters (think a little bit Miss Matty and Miss Deborah in Cranford, and their servant Martha).  She befriends a large family who live on a farm outside town -- their father is a travelling man, which means he wanders around and only comes home every few years, generally leaving his wife pregnant again when he goes away once more.  It's a call, he says, and he insists his oldest son, Gideon, will have the call too.  Dorrie and Gideon begin to fall in love, but he insists he'll never marry so he can end this everlasting chain of men who leave their families behind.

Because you can't fight your call.

The story also involves two ministers, Reverend Lapp and Reverend Birdsong, both of whom also feel calls.  Lapp feels called to preach hellfire and brimstone sermons and drive the Devil out of Greenwillow's environs whenever he finds the chance.  Birdsong feels called to spread peace and harmony and love.  The two try to work together, they really do.  But... you can't fight your call.

The bulk of the book wafts gently but steadily on, like a spring breeze that has places to go, but is enjoying stopping to touch every flower and leaf and grass blade while it goes.  This is a book that brought joy and sunshine to me while I read it, and if I didn't need to read the next Anne book to keep up with my challenge, I would very likely just begin this all over again right now.  It's charming and refreshing and satisfying, and I cannot recommend it enough.

Particularly Good Bits:

Unfortunately, on the preceding Thursday (a bad day, Thursday, falling as it does nowhere in the week at all) the Reverend Lapp had been seized by another vision (p. 11).

"Pigs don't kneel," said Miss Maidy, coming into the kitchen and flapping her white apron at Micah and Jabez as if they had been chickens in her garden.  "They fall over sideways sometimes with their feet sticking out."
"Blessed be your Christmas, ma'am," said Micah.  "That's true, they do fall over" (p. 109).

If This Was a Movie, I Would Rate It:  PG-13 for quite a number of references to babies being conceived (with phrases such as "he left a baby in her belly," not anything explicit), a scary scene with a little boy lost in the woods, and a difficult (but again, not explicit) childbirth.  Not racy, and no bad language or violence, but not exactly for children either.



So, I'm counting this for the Classics Club because it was published in 1956 (more than 50 years ago) and because even though it's not well-known, it should be.  It's well-written enough that I believe it merits classification as a classic.  So this is my 43rd book read and reviewed for the Classics Club!

And B. J. Chute was a woman, so hey, it's my 12th book for the Women's Classic Literature Event too.

17 comments:

  1. Well, there's another book for the TBR. It sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, it is! I found it perfect for helping me unwind after a busy summer day... or in the middle of one.

      Delete
  2. Ooo, this sounds good. I will have to add it to my list. XD One of these days my list is going to come alive and swallow me whole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days, the bookcase holding my TBR piles is going to collapse on top of me. I need to read faster!

      Delete
  3. Heehee, Heidi and Eowyn gave me this book as a gift and I loved it!! I had never heard of it until they talked of it. You're right, it shouldn't be as unknown as it is! So glad you enjoyed it, too. I feel the need to re-read it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, I'm beginning to suspect they have a whole stack of copies of this book they're waiting to give to people, cuz Heidi gave me this for my birthday :-) I only suspect that because I've got several favorite books that I store up spare copies of for just such occasions...

      Delete
    2. That's a really good idea! And hahaha, yes, that may very well be. ;)

      Delete
  4. I LOVE this book so much!!! (And I got the recommendation from Heidi too.) It made me laugh and it made me cry and basically warmed my heart all over with fuzzy goodness. I am definitely reading it again. So glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma Jane, that's so funny! Heidi has done a good job of spreading the love for this book, huh? I too laughed a lot, and teared up at the end. Nice to find another fan :-)

      Delete
  5. This was on my summer reading list, and I was looking forward to reading it—and then went to the library catalogue to request it and found they'd discarded the only copy! So frustrating! Now I guess I'll have to get it by interlibrary loan sometime. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it; makes me look forward to reading it even more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elisabeth, what a dreadful thing to do! Silly library. My system only has it as an e-audiobook. Silly library. I hope you can get your hands on a copy soon!

      Delete
  6. Really want to read this now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naomi Sarah, I want you to read it too! I think you would clasp it to your bosom, literally and figuratively.

      Delete
  7. Well I must say that you've convinced me now. Will be adding it to my TBR post haste! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

    So... I found your review when I was traveling last week and then... well, you can guess the rest. ;) (Full disclosure: I actually first read your post on my phone at my cousins house and yes, I ended up sitting there just grinning ridiculously at the screen. ;)) Seriously, I'm sooooo SO happy you loved it. And ohhhh... you're so welcome, friend!!

    P.S. Hope you're having a great trip! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee. And I read your comment on my phone while waiting in line at the convention and grinned happily at the screen :-) The trip was great! Trying to adjust to real life again today, bit by bit. Which means I really should make some lunch...

      But anyway, yes, I adored this book. Has a happy home on my bookshelves now!

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)