Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Numbers Game


This week, The Broke and the Bookish have chosen the topic "Top Ten Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads."  So, I consulted my (by no means comprehensive) Goodreads list and came up with these, which I'm arranging alphabetically by author (because I can!):



Jane Austen's England by Roy and Lesley Adkins -- a thorough look at life in England during the time of Jane Austen.



Vendetta for the Saint by Leslie Charteris -- the first full-length Saint adventure I read, and so much fun. 



An Unexpected Cookbook by Rachael Chris-Oseland -- a delightful, delicious cookbook.



And Now Tomorrow by Rachel Field -- a heart-warming, inspiring story of a woman struggling to figure out who she is and what she wants.



Corral Nocturne by Elisabeth Grace Foley -- a charming western re-telling of the Cinderella story.



Henry Tilney's Diary by Amanda Grange -- a delightful retelling of Northanger Abbey!



Keeping Watch by Laurie R. King -- a thriller, which I liked sooo much better than the book it follows, Folly.



Bring Me a Unicorn by Anne Morrow Lindbergh -- a consuming collection of letters and diary entries that detail the author's adolescence and the beginnings of her romance with famous aviation pioneer Charles Lindbergh.



A Skeleton in God's Closet by Paul L. Maier -- a fictional story of a startling archaeological mystery.



A Family Affair by Rex Stout -- my absolute favorite Nero Wolfe mystery.

What about you?  Do you have favorite books that don't seem to be as popular as they ought to be?  Have you read any of these?

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this list! I will be doing a Jane Austin Education reading project in 2017 (reading/re-reading all 6 of her novels in addition to historical works about Austin herself, the times, and literary works *about* her works). I am now adding Jane Austen's England to that list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kenia, that sounds so fun! I spent a year with Jane Austen in 2012, and it was wonderful. Jane Austen's England will be so useful for you -- it really paints an unvarnished picture of what life was like back then.

      I would also like to recommend A Jane Austen Education by William Deresiewicz, which is simply the best exploration of her six major novels that I have ever read.

      Delete
  2. You've reminded me I really need to read Henry Tilney's Diary. I even own a copy now! Plus WHY have I not finished Northanger Abbey yet...?? *sigh* I don't understand myself sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kara, read them!!! SO delightful.

      But I'm the same way -- I'll own a book for simply years, reeeeeally want to read it, and still just not have it read. Sigh.

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)