Sunday, January 24, 2016

Begin Again: Inkling Explorations for January, 2016

I've spent like a week trying to decide on what "new beginning" in literature to highlight for this month's Inkling Explorations link-up on Sharing the Journey, and last night, I found just what I wanted, while I wasn't searching at all.  I finished rereading Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery last night, and while I was reading the last two pages, I found exactly what I want to share for this.  We're snowed in this morning and church has been cancelled, so I'm going to grab a minute before all the kids are up to quick post this :-)

DISCLAIMER:  This is obviously full of SPOILAGE since it's from the last two pages of the book.  




Halfway down the hill a tall lad came whistling out of the gate before the Blythe homestead.  It was Gilbert, and the whistle died on his lips as he recognized Anne.  He lifted his cap courteously, but he would have passed on in silence, if Anne had not stopped and held out her hand. 

"Gilbert," she said, with scarlet cheeks, "I want to thank you for giving up the school for me.  It was very good of you -- and I want you to know that I appreciate it." 

Gilbert took the offered hand eagerly.  "It wasn't particularly good of me at all. Anne.  I was pleased to be able to do you some small service.  Are we going to be friends after this?  Have you really forgiven me my old fault?" 

Anne laughed and tried unsuccessfully to withdraw her hand.  "I forgave you that day by the pond landing, although I didn't know it.  What a stubborn little goose I was.  I've been -- I may as well make a complete confession -- I've been sorry ever since." 

"We are going to be the best of friends," said Gilbert, jubilantly.  "We were born to be good friends, Anne.  You've thwarted destiny long enough.  I know we can help each other in many ways.  You are going to keep up your studies, aren't you?  So am I.  Come, I'm going to walk home with you."


If you know the story of Anne of Green Gables, you know that Anne has spent the entire book being angry at Gilbert Blythe because he pulled her red hair and called her "Carrots" on one of her first days in Avonlea.  He begged her to forgive him several times, and she always refused, but after five years of growiing up, Anne is finally mature enough to know how to let go of a grudge.  And so her life as a child has ended, and her life as a young woman begins.

18 comments:

  1. AAAAAAAAAACK I LOVE THIS PART. Most beautiful part of the whole book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma Jane, yes, it's perfectly delicious, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. AHHH. I LOVE THIS PART.
    They WERE born to be friends. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. TOO cute! :) Anne and Gilbert are my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a great choice! And I like the picture you included at the end:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meredith! I know, aren't they cute? And they both look a little tired, like it's been a long day of filming... or a long 5 years of feuding...

      Delete
  5. Eeek. Absolutely, positively SPLENDID choice!! It hadn't occured to me either and I'm soo glad you thought of it!! :D

    And yes, I have to second Meredith. That last picture is one of my top favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi, it's funny, because I had been looking at the beginning of so many books, but in the end, I found what I wanted at the end of one :-)

      Delete
  6. Splendid choice, Hamlette! Anne and Gil and their adorable, warmly-fuzzy, complicated, awesome relationship ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Olivia! They're such a nifty couple, I agree.

      Delete
  7. What a great selection choice! I love that movie; I really should read the book one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah, I love the movie too! You should definitely read the books.

      Delete
    2. Well, I'm currently going through all of the books in my house and figuring out what to donate. Maybe if I get rid of enough of them, I can justify picking up a copy of this. :)

      Delete
    3. I do a semi-annual book purge -- just went through all the junior fiction and children's books this weekend and weeded out a bunch that we're not into anymore. Need to do with with mine now too :-)

      Delete
  8. AWWWW. This part!! I need to read this again. :) Splendid choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, Thanks! Looking through the comments here, I'm thinking this has inspired a whole bunch of people to dig out their copies or put it on their TBRR (To Be Re-Read) lists, hee! It really is delicious <3

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)