Monday, August 26, 2024

"The Last Unicorn" by Peter S. Beagle

This book felt like what you'd get if Neil Gaiman and C. S. Lewis co-wrote a novel.  It's sometimes eerie and dark, sometimes just weird and funny, sometimes heartwarming, and always off-kilter, but with deeper meaning below the surface.

It has a fairly simple storyline: the last unicorn learns she is the last unicorn and sets out to find out what happened to the rest of her kind.  She meets bad guys and good guys and mediocre guys.  She has adventures.  She gets in and out of dangerous situations.  She almost decides to give up her quest, but doesn't.  She grows wiser and helps others grow kinder or wiser or more noble.  

The writing was beautifully image-rich and often surprising, sometimes making me think of Jasper Fforde and sometimes of L. M. Montgomery.  But mostly of Gaiman and Lewis.

I spent most of this book going, "What, now?" because it's generally pretty trippy stuff.  I did enjoy it, overall, and I could see using it for high school history for my kids if they begged me for more fantasy for lit class, since it's definitely a modern fantasy classic.

Particularly Good Bits:

"One good woman more in the world is worth every single unicorn gone" (p. 250).

"Things must happen when it is time for them to happen. Quests may not simply be abandoned; prophecies may not be left to rot like unpicked fruit; unicorns may go unrescued for a long time, but not forever. The happy ending cannot come in the middle of the story" (p. 251).

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: PG-13 for some lightly bawdy humor, plus some dark and perilous and creepy things.


This is my 26th book read for my 4th Classics Club list.

6 comments:

  1. Wikipedia says this was first published in 1968. I wish I'd discovered it then -- it would have been right up my alley at age 11.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, that's interesting! I think I would have hated it at age 11 -- fantasy was not at all my thing as a youngster. But I've wised up as an adult ;-)

      Delete
  2. D'oh...didn't mean to post anonymous. You can delete the first if you like.

    Lewis and Gaiman, I'd read that! :) It was fun and lovely. The animated movie is worth a watch, if only to hear America's title song. (and I think it was PG-13)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joseph, no worries! Extra comment has been disappeared.

      Wouldn't a Lewis-Gaiman project be cool?

      I learned from this edition that Beagle wrote the screenplay for the movie version... and also for the animated LOTR movies!!!

      Delete
  3. Hmmmmm, you have piqued my interest! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia, I could see you being quite fascinated by this one.

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)