Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Top Ten Tuesday: Be Brief

This month's first Top Ten Tuesday prompt from That Artsy Reader Girl is "Top Ten Quick Reads/Novellas."  I am only counting novellas intended for teens and adults, not middle-grade or junior fiction, because otherwise the whole list would be just my favorite books from when I was a tween/teen.  That would be fun, but not where I chose to go today.

I arranged these by alphabetical order because I didn't feel like trying to figure out which ones would be my next-favorite after Falling Snow, which is definitely tops here.  All titles are linked to my full reviews.

Corral Nocturne by Elisabeth Grace Foley (G) -- western Cinderella retelling

Falling Snow by Skye Hoffert (PG-10) -- fantasy circus Snow White retelling

The Goblin and the Dancer by Allison Tebo (PG) -- fantasy Steadfast Tin Soldier retelling

A Holiday by Gaslight by Mimi Matthews (PG-13) -- Victorian Christmas retelling of North and South

The Lilies of the Field by William E. Barrett (G) -- classic about extending a helping hand across social divides

The Reluctant Godfather by Allison Tebo (G) -- funny Cinderella retelling

A Sidekick's Tale by Elisabeth Grace Foley (PG) -- funny western

The Silent Gondoliers by William Goldman (PG) -- funny fable

With Blossoms Gold by Hayden Wand (PG) -- fantasy Rapunzel retelling

Woman in the Dark by Dashiell Hammett (PG-16) -- hardboiled detective story

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Katie, yes!!!! Thanks once again for introducing me to it :-)

      Delete
  2. These all look like good reads.

    Here is my Top Ten Tuesday post.

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fairy tale retellings are so much fun.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    Astilbe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Astilbe, they really are! I am a sucker for them, obviously.

      Delete
  4. I haven't heard of any of these but I will admit that the western Cinderella retelling is something that caught my attention. I love westerns and having a fairy tale retelling to it could be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, that western Cinderella retelling is lots of fun! I actually write fairy tale retellings set in the Old West myself -- here's a page on my blog that lists all my books and what they retell, if you are curious.

      Delete
  5. A fantasy snow white retelling sounds interesting! I have only heard of Mimi's book. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, it's a fun on! Glad I could show off some new titles for you. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I'm not familiar with any of these titles, but I'm seeing some intriguing titles. Happy reading. My TTT https://readwithstefani.com/top-10-short-books/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stefani, glad some of the titles here intrigue you :-)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Olivia, same! There's something uniquely satisfying about a whole story told in a succinct way.

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)