Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Top Ten Tuesday: There Has Been an Addition

I didn't get many books for Christmas this year, but that's because I didn't ask for many.  I've been working for several years to cut my massive TBR stacks down to a manageable size, and part of that is being more intentional about what books I acquire.  

Still, I did get six books for Christmas, plus I bought a few more over the past weeks, so here are the "Most Recent Additions to My Book Collection," which is our prompt for Top Ten Tuesday from That Artsy Reader Girl this week.


Guy Williams: The Man Behind the Mask by Antoinette Girgenti Lane -- a biography of the actor who played Zorro on the Disney TV show back in the 1950s.  I adore that show, as Williams's portrayal of Zorro is my absolute favorite.  My dad gave me this for Christmas because he also loves that show.

The Reading Life: The Joy of Seeing New Worlds Through Others' Eyes by C. S. Lewis -- a collection of essays, articles, letters Lewis wrote pertaining to how rewarding reading can be.  My in-laws gave me this for Christmas -- it's one of the few books I did put on my wish list this year.

Persuasion by Jane Austen -- but not just any edition, an edition that includes handwritten copies of all the letters in the book!  And since this is the book with the finest love letter of all time in it, this is pretty much a must-have version of my favorite Austen novel.  A friend surprised me with this for Christmas.

(From my Instagram)

Srsly Hamlet by Courtney Carbone (and William Shakespeare) -- my beloved Hamlet retold as a series of text message conversations.  It's quirky and funny, and was a gift from a friend who also loves the Melancholy Dane.

The Lost Chronicles by Mark Cotta Vaz -- a companion to one of my favorite TV shows, Lost (2004-2010).  I'm having great fun paging through it.  This was also a gift from a friend.

Come Forth as Gold by Erica Dansereau -- a book that involves a gold mining town AND World War II?  I must read it.  This was a "secret Santa" gift from a member of the Christian Mommy Writers Group.


The Gold in These Hills by Joanne Bischoff -- it's about a mail-order bride and a gold rush and a ghost town.  I just wrote a book with a gold rush ghost town in it.  Obviously, I'm intrigued by this!  I bought it for myself.

A Classic Christmas Story Collection: The Christmas Hirelings and Other Stories from Moncreiff Press -- a wealth of lovely stories from classic authors like Louisa May Alcott, Charles Dickens, Hans Christian Andersen, O. Henry, Kate Douglas Wiggin, and Washington Irving.  I chiefly bought it because it contains The Christmas Hirelings by Mary Elizabeth Braddon, which I read this year and loved.

Silent Night; Holy Night by Colleen Coble -- two Christmas mystery novellas.  I bought this because I enjoyed All is Calm; All is Bright so much.  I reviewed it here.

All is Calm; All is Bright by Colleen Coble -- two more Christmas mystery novellas.  This was my book club's pick for our December read, and I very much enjoyed it.  My review is here.


Did you get some new books this month?  Do share!

25 comments:

  1. These sound like a lot of fun—I hope you enjoy reading them! That edition of Persuasion sounds amazing. And Srsly Hamlet is a great concept! I'll have to look that one up.

    My TTT: https://bookwyrmknits.com/2022/12/27/top-ten-tuesday-most-recent-additions-to-the-hoard-2/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! I hope so too :-) I'll check out your post!

      Delete
  2. That Persuasion edition looks so cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you love all of these books!

    My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-most-recent-additions-to-my-book-collection-2/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lydia! Me too :-) I'll check out your list!

      Delete
  4. Looks like you added some great new reads!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many great reads! I'm adding the Lost book to my wishlist. That's gotta be my favorite TV show. I've been rewatching it again and am still loving it so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, isn't Lost just amazing? The writing, the acting -- so good.

      Delete
  6. Some great books on your list. I hope you enjoy them all. :)

    https://christianbookshelfreviews.blogspot.com/2022/12/december-27-most-recent-additions-to-my.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melanie! I hope to :-) I'll check out your post!

      Delete
  7. That graphic is so cute!

    Srsly Hamlet sounds hilarious... and I love that Lost book -- I got it for Christmas many years ago, when it was new in fact, and I still have it because it's just that good a companion.

    Also OMG. Persuasion is the only Austen I haven't read, but I am allll about books with removable objects and the idea of being able to hold letters in your hands sounds like a dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, RS! I had fun making the graphic.

      I'm glad to hear this Lost companion has stood the test of time! I've really liked what I've seen while flipping through it.

      I've actually read Srsly Hamlet -- I got it from the library a few years ago, and it was great fun. I know it'll be enjoyable to revisit.

      Persuasion is just beautiful, and this edition is ::chef's kiss:: The same friend gave me the Pride and Prejudice from this collection a couple years ago, too. They are perfectly delightful!

      Delete
  8. Great list! I have Silent Night, Holy Night by Colleen Coble and I want to read Joanne Bischoff's book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to read SO many of Colleen's books once upon a time. Making me think maybe I should give these novellas a chance. We also love a solid Jane Austen edition, too! Like you, I'm trying really hard to only acquire certain books, but I think I should be even better. Thanks so much for visiting my website on this week, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rissi, I just got one of Coble's books from the library (Butterfly Palace) to see if I like more of her stuff :-)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Good for you in being more intentional about what you buy. I have definitely made some changes, but I still like those Kindle freebies.

    Nice book haul this week. Coble's books are some of my favorites. Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, well, I'm *trying.* I still go a little nuts at a used bookstore now and then, tho.

      Thanks! I just discovered Colleen Coble with these two books, but I got her book Butterfly Palace from the library yesterday because I want to try more of hers.

      Delete
  11. I hope you enjoy all of these! I've never read Persuasion (or any Jane Austen for that matter) but your edition looks so cool :)
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2022/12/27/top-ten-tuesday-400/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, HeartlandX! These editions are fabulous. There are a couple other titles out too -- for sure Little Women.

      Delete
  12. Me: Darcy who?

    I NEED that edition of Persuasion! I'd never heard of it! I fell in love with Captain Wentworth as soon as I read that letter. Thanks for sharing that one for sure!

    I hope you enjoy these when you read them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, heh heh. Yeah, Wentworth is my favorite Austen hero, so I hear you there :-D

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)