Wednesday, July 13, 2022

"What Katy Did at School" by Susan Coolidge

I liked this book even better than its predecessor, What Katy Did!  In this story, Katy and Clover Carr attend a boarding school for young ladies rather far away from their home and family.  The experience deepens their sisterly bond, but also allows them to branch out and form new friendships independent of each other.

The girls have quite a few small adventures at school, sometimes of their own making and sometimes instigated by their new friends.  Katy also gets into some rather serious trouble because someone else sends a note to a boy and signs her name to it, and such note-sending is forbidden.  But rather than leave school in disgrace, Katy vows to let her good conduct exonerate her.

I really loved how Katy's kindness and thoughtfulness won over a rather unpleasant teacher, over time.  That reminded me a little of how Anne befriends Katherine in Anne of Windy Poplars, but with a student-teacher dynamic instead of kindness shown to an equal.  I thought that was believably and gently written.

Particularly Good Bits:  

Illness had not changed her materially.  It is only in novels that rheumatic fever sweetens tempers, and makes disagreeable people over into agreeable ones (p. 172).

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It:  G.  It's clean, wholesome, and uplifting.  And fun!


This is my 46th book read for my third Classics Club list and my 36th book read from my TBR shelves for #TheUnreadShelfProject2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)