Sunday, July 10, 2022

"Pride and Prejudice" (Manga Classics) by Jane Austen (original story), Crystal S. Chan (story adaptation), and Po Tse (art)

Like the Manga Classics version of Emma, this book updates a lot of the language from the original book, presumably to make it more understandable and accessible to kids these days.  I don't have an issue with that.  This isn't pretending to be an illustrated edition of the original book, but a manga adaptation.  However, I do have one issue with this aspect of this book:  Elizabeth Bennet constantly calls Mr. Darcy just plain "Darcy."  Aloud, in her head, to his face, all of it.  And that annoyed me a LOT.  It might not bother you at all, but it bothered me.

Aside from that, this is a completely adorable book.  In particular, the chibi version of Mrs. Bennet that cropped up whenever she was upset or excited was super duper cute!  I really liked the artwork, and I thought they brought the book to life very well, over all.

But it's not okay to call Mr. Darcy just plain "Darcy."  It's not.

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: G.  They glide genteelly over the reasons why Wickham and Lydia running away together are a problem, while not understating how terribly this affects the other Bennet girls.  Quite delicately handled.

This is the 34th book I've read off my TBR shelves for #TheUnreadShelfProject2022.

2 comments:

  1. I think I have to agree. It's not OK to cally Mr. Darcy "Darcy." That's just wrong! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, yeah, I very much wish they hadn't done that. Sigh ;-)

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)