Saturday, April 2, 2022

Interview with Emily Hayse

I am so excited to have the chance to interview Emily Hayse about her new release, In the Glorious Fields, which is the grand finale for her Knights of Tin and Lead series.  You may recall that the first two books in the trilogy, These War-Torn Hands (my review here) and The Beautiful Ones (my review here) were on my list of top favorite reads from 2021.  I definitely have high expectations for this third and final installment!

(All photos are mine from my Instagram)

The Knights of Tin and Lead series retells the legend of King Arthur as magical-realism westerns.  Set in a fictional Old West territory, the books have the flavor of a classic western movie sprinkled with some pixie dust.  Thanks to them, Emily Hayse has shot onto my Auto-Buy Author list, and I am planning to read her back list as soon as I finish this series.

Okay, that's enough nattering from me!  On to the interview:

Rachel Kovaciny: Did you write all three books of this trilogy together and then revise and edit before each release, or did you write them one at a time?

Emily Hayse: One at a time! My original hope was to write them all together and do the revise and edit, but life didn't allow for that. However, I did have a lot of plotting and some scenes done ahead of time.


RK: If you were to describe In the Glorious Fields using three unrelated books, what would those three books be?

EH: The Killer Angels, San Domingo, Medicine Hat Stallion, and maybe Return of the King?


RK: Which character was the most fun to write? Why?

EH: That's so hard because truly, they were all fun! Maybe Peter. He's a lot like a brother of mine and I just love all the little details about his character because they just feel so true to life.


RK: Which character was hardest to write? Why?

EH: Honestly, none of them gave me that much trouble. Occasionally I got frustrated with Sikes for being incredibly obtuse, but his voice was always right there and very vivid. I guess, maybe Britt as well could be hard because he was so closed off it was hard to get anything out of him.


RK: What is your favorite western book?

EH: It's maybe a tad more in the historical fiction realm, but I love San Domingo, Medicine Hat Stallion. It was one of the books that really brought the West to life for me. After that, I really enjoy any of the Louis L'Amour Sackett books that feature Tell Sackett.


RK: What is your favorite western movie?

EH: Probably Conagher. It's a very sweet, poetic adaptation of a Louis L'Amour novel that Sam Elliott and his wife did shortly after Louis' death.


RK: What was your introduction to the King Arthur legend?

EH: Probably The Sword in the Stone, though that was a very long time ago. I remember reading adaptations for kids, Landmark books and such. I wish I had a childhood favorite, but I just sort of read whatever.


RK: Do you have a favorite version of King Arthur, book or movie (besides your own)?

EH: I became really fond of Roger Lancelyn Green's King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table while I was drafting this. I also really like Rosemary Sutcliff's trilogy.


RK: If you were a character in the King Arthur legend, who would you like to be?

EH: I would like to be Gawain maybe? He's very loyal, very family oriented, and has few flaws. But that doesn't necessarily mean I would be him!


RK: Any idea what you'll be writing next?

EH: Yes! It's mostly under wraps right now, but it's a shorter standalone novel, and it's sort of The Great Gatsby meets The Illusionist. And you can look forward to that probably in December.


You can find Emily Hayse at the following places:


I hope you've enjoyed this interview!  Thank you for answering my questions, Ms. Hayse :-)  It's been a pleasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)