Friday, April 8, 2022

"The Prisoner of Zenda" by Anthony Hope

Well, this was a jolly romp of a tale!  Kind of a grown-up version of The Prince and the Pauper, in a way, but with the switch of commoner and royalty being deliberate and done for an actual reason.

Rudolf Rassendyll, a wealthy young man idly wasting his life at gentlemanly nonsense, goes to visit distant relatives in the middle-European (and fictional) country of Ruritania.  There, he meets another Rudolf, his distant cousin who is about to be crowned king.  After a night of drunken revelry, the almost-king is unable to attend his coronation.  His advisors press Rassendyll to take his place so as to avoid scandal and to thwart the new king's brother, who is scheming to take over the country.

You can guess what happens next, right?  It's rather like the movie Dave (1993) -- Rudolf Rassendyll has to keep on pretending to be the new king because the actual king gets kidnapped by his rotten brother and held prisoner in the Castle Zenda.  

Love and intrigue ensue, as the fake king must keep up the pretense of wooing the beautiful Princess Flavia so the real king will be able to marry her eventually.  Fist fights and sword fights and daring rescue attempts also ensue, and it all ends happily for almost everyone.  

Now I want to see the 1937 Ronald Colman movie version because the front cover of my copy is a picture from it :-D

Is this a weighty and thought-provoking book?  Nope.  It is, as I said, a jolly romp, and it's not pretending to be anything else.  Though it did have a few introspective parts, my favorite of which is below.  I love that it actually spawned a minor genre, called Ruritanian Romance.  Hope also wrote a sequel (Rupert of Hentzau) and a prequel (The Heart of Princess Osra), and I'm on the lookout for copies of those now.

Particularly Good Bits:

Ah!  But a man cannot be held to write down in cold blood the wild and black thoughts that storm a brain when an uncontrolled passion has battered a breach for them.  Yet, unless he sets up as a saint, he need not hate himself for them.  he is better employed, as it humbly seems to me, in giving thanks that power to resist was vouchsafed to him, than in fretting over wicked impulses which come unsought and extort an unwilling hospitality from the weakness of our nature (p. 91).

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It:  PG for swashbuckling violence and veiled commentary about a woman's virtue being threatened.


This has been my 38th book read and reviewed for my third Classics Club list, and also my 10th for #TheUnreadShelfProject2022.

10 comments:

  1. My only brush with this story is the Get Smart episode 'The King Lives?' XD But it looks really fun! And I do like Ronald Colman...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eva, ooooh, I haven't seen that Get Smart ep yet! I will look forward to it :-D

      Delete
  2. I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!! And I just finished Rupert of Hentzau... and it's REALLY GOOD! I can't wait to hear what you think once you read it!! Oh and I've seen the 1952 movie version and that's really good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, oh, I'm so glad to hear that Rupert of Hentzau is also a good book! I'm not sure I know anyone else who has read it, and I was kind of unsure about whether it would be worth getting or not... but I will now have to find a copy! AbeBooks, here I come :-D

      Delete
  3. I read this book as a teenager! I think my naive teenage brain didn't "get" most of it, and was also Slightly Scandalized by the whole Rudolf-and-Flavia romance (heh)... but I do remember it having a very fun, adventurous vibe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, yeah, I was a little surprised that Rudolf was willing to give Flavia up -- that made for a nice twist I didn't see coming, and let some good weight to the story overall. And it definitely has a fun adventure sort of vibe.

      Delete
  4. Fun! Different story, but sounds kind of like the original Zorro book to me... not terribly deep, but an exciting romp and starting off a little genre in its own right. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi, it's not quite as frolicsome as the first Zorro book, but it has a similar feel. Not deep, but doesn't need to be :-D

      Delete
  5. Ah, yes, this book is just about the definition of fun swashbuckler! I think you'll like the '37 movie version, because it's a very good adaptation.

    When we watched Dave recently, the similarity struck me so much that I wondered if the scriptwriters actually deliberately set out to write a modern take on the Prisoner of Zenda story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elisabeth, indeed! That's so cool that Dave reminded you of this -- I bet the writers totally got the idea from this. President instead of king, good intentions that spiral out of control, semi-forbidden romance...

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)