Sunday, January 2, 2022

"Johnny Tremain" by Esther Forbes

Considering that this was one of my favorite books when I was like eleven, I was astonished by how very little I actually remembered of it.  Oh, I remembered the big things, like Johnny getting his hand ruined in a silversmithing accident, Paul Revere playing a central role, and that it involved a printing press a lot.  There were a couple of random scenes that were still really familiar when I read them.  But most of it, I'd forgotten.  So it was a joy to discover it all over again, in a way!

Johnny Tremain is an apprentice silversmith living in Boston on the eve of the American Revolution.  After a terrible accident cripples him, he loses his apprenticeship and must find other work.  He falls in with some of the Sons of Liberty and gradually becomes a rebel, patriot, Whig -- whatever you want to call the people working to break away from England's injustice.  Through Johnny's eyes, we get to meet some of the great Revolutionaries, from Paul Revere to Sam Adams.  The book begins before the Boston Tea Party and ends just after the battles at Lexington and Concord.

I really enjoyed reading this aloud to my kids, and I think it brought a little slice of American history alive for them the way it did many years ago for me.  I'm pretty sure this book is a big part of why I've been fascinated with the American Revolution for decades now.

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: PG for some mild bad language and non-gory violence.

4 comments:

  1. Such a good book!

    I remember wanting to read Johnny Tremain years ago, because various people in my blogging circle praised it so highly. I found a copy in a thrift store one day and it has since become one of my favorite works of historical fiction. The movie stands out in my mind too (although I really prefer the book). Especially the scene where Johnny burns his hand. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eva, yeah, it richly deserves the plaudits it receives. Wonderful stuff. I remember watching the movie once as a tween and never wanting to watch it again, but I have no idea anymore why!

      Delete
  2. This post brings back such memories for me of homeschooling and reading together. I'm happy that you read it again and enjoyed it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom, I have this really vivid memory of reading this book while at the Sheraton in Saginaw -- they had built a real fire in the fireplace down in the lobby, and Dad decided we should go sit by it, so we did, and I brought that book and read it there. Such a cozy little memory!

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)