Sunday, July 5, 2020

"Persuasion" by Jane Austen (yet again)

Yup, still my favorite Jane Austen book.  I can't believe the last time I read this was in 2015!  Silly me.

Characters are always what draw me to a story -- if I love the characters, I will love the book.  If I don't engage with the characters, no matter how much I like the author's writing, I won't actually love the story.  So the reason that this is my favorite Austen book is because Anne Elliot and Captain Wentworth are my favorite Austen heroine and hero.  And together make my favorite Austen couple.  That's just how it is.

Of course, Austen's writing also delights me. She's so smart without being pompous, polished without being glib, and sincere without being sappy.  I love how deeply we get to know and understand her characters -- many of them, not just the main character.  And I love the way her books bring home to me the fact that no matter how much the externals of society change, people are the same inside, century after century.

Quick description of what the book is about, in case you don't know already:  Miss Anne Elliot and Captain Frederick Wentworth were engaged eight years ago, but she broke off their engagement because her surrogate mother believed the marriage would be unwise and imprudent.  Neither of them have ever fallen in love again.  Now Wentworth is back on sea, important and wealthy and ready to settle down, but still harboring bitter disappointment over Anne's ending things with him.  Anne is unappreciated by her own family and has lost her girlhood beauty, but has grown into a patient, wise woman who has learned to understand herself and those around her.

I read this as part of a buddy read on Bookstagram, and that was so much fun!  I really love discussing books with other book lovers.

(Mine from Bookstagram)

Particularly Good Bits:

"There is hardly any personal defect," replied Anne, "which an agreeable manner might not gradually reconcile one to" (p. 31).

A submissive spirit might be patient, a strong understanding would supply resolution, but here was something more; here was that elasticity of mind, that disposition to be comforted, that power of turning readily from evil to good, and of finding employment which carried her out of herself, which was from Nature alone (p. 138).

Her spring of felicity was in the glow of her spirits, as her friend Anne's was in the warmth of her heart (p. 227).

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: G.  Nothing objectionable here.


Like I said, it's my favorite Jane Austen novel.  I have many copies...

18 comments:

  1. Persuasion is a good one! It's my mom's favorite, and I enjoy it, too. We don't have quite that many copies, though. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samantha, how cool it's your mom's favorite too! Yeeeeeeah, I have even more copies of Jane Eyre, but you know... sometimes I join a read-along and want a fresh copy to mark up with notes or whatever, and sometimes books are pretty... but I swear I don't have this many copies of every favorite. Really just Persuasion, Jane Eyre, and Hamlet.

      Delete
  2. Woah! I am seriously impressed by the amount of copies you have, haha. If I have multiple copies of a favourite book, I'd never be able to choose which one to read! It's bad enough choosing which mug to use every day. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabby, I have that trouble with mugs too. I like them to match my mood :-)

      I bought two of these specifically for read-alongs, two as parts of sets, and one because it's annotated. So I did have some actual reasons, lol...

      Delete
  3. So I read this last July/August (it was the last of Austen's novels that I hadn't read) and ah, I loved it. It is probably my third favorite of hers! Her writing is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MC, good for you! Yes, I love how much she can say without getting wordy. Subtle writing is my favorite.

      Delete
  4. My favorite Austen novel, too. I love how deep and thoughtful and mellow it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, that is such a perfect way of describing it. Deep and thoughtful and mellow. YES.

      Delete
  5. I have read Persuasion last year, and instantly liked it.
    By the way, your copy is sooo lovely!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fanda, that's great! It's such an uplifting story, isn't it?

      Thanks! It's from Barnes & Noble, and they've put out P&P and S&S like this too, faux suede covers that are so pretty. Very much hoping they put out her other 3 full novels too. These have gilt edges, deliciously thick paper, a ribbon bookmark, and are a nice size -- not unwieldy, but not flimsy and small either.

      Delete
  6. Persuasion is my favorite Jane Austen story. Others are my favorite adaptation or book or whatnot, but Persuasion is my favorite plot. Such richness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia, YES! Such richness. It gets deeper with every reready. So meaty and yet... so deceptively simple. Wow.

      Delete
  7. I read this one two years ago and loved it! The characters are so real and the writing is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethi, how awesome! I'm glad you loved it too :-) I agree!

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)