Tuesday, January 1, 2019
My Ten (?) Favorite Books of 2018
Today, I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for the first Top Ten Tuesday of 2019! The subject this week is Best Books I read in 2018. I read sixty-nine books this year! And reviewed the vast majority here or on Goodreads. That astonishes me. Wow
The title of this post is a lie. I read so many wonderful books this year that I've got two lists of ten here, one of new-to-me reads and one of rereads. So in reality, this is my TWENTY favorite books of 2018.
As always, titles are linked to my reviews. All artsy pictures are from my Bookstagram adventures. I've provided a bit of info about the genre, audience, or subject matter, plus my movie-style rating for each.
Top Ten New-to-Me Reads of 2018
1. A Flame in the Dark by Sarah Baughman -- Protestant Reformation, Christian fiction, PG-13
2. A Name Unknown by Roseanna M. White -- WWI, Christian fiction, PG.
3. Speak Easy, Speak Love by McKelle George -- Roaring '20s, Shakespeare retelling, PG-13
4. Soldier On by Vanessa Rasanen -- Christian fiction, modern military fiction, PG-13
5. Jane of Lantern Hill by L. M. Montgomery -- classic, coming-of-age, G
6. Loving Isaac by Heather Kaufmann -- Christian fiction, parenting an autistic child, PG-13
7. A Hobbit, A Wardrobe, and a Great War by Joseph Laconte -- nonfiction, literary history, PG-13
8. Guns of the Timberlands by Louis L'Amour -- historical fiction, western, PG
9. Girl in Disguise by Greer MacAllister -- biographical novel, spy novel, Civil War history, PG-13
10. Jane of Austin by Hillary Manton Lodge -- Christian fiction, Jane Austen retelling, PG-13
Top Ten Rereads of 2018
1. Persuasion by Jane Austen -- classic, romantic love, G
2. The Hound of the Baskervilles by A. Conan Doyle -- classic, mystery, PG
3. The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery -- classic, romantic love, PG
4. The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton -- coming-of-age, young adult, PG
5. Gone-Away Lake by Elizabeth Enright -- slice-of-life, middle-grade, G
6. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen -- classic, coming-of-age, PG
7. The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin -- mystery, middle-grade, PG
8. On the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder -- classic, history, PG
9. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury -- classic, dystopian, sci-fi, PG-13
10. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis -- classic, fantasy, PG
I've been doing top ten lists of books read each year for a while now. Click on the year to read my lists from 2017, 2016, 2015, and 2014.
How about you? What favorites, new or old, did you read in 2018?