Friday, December 30, 2016

"Where Treetops Glisten" by Tricia Goyer, Cara Putman, and Sarah Sundin

This is a trio of novellas telling intertwined stories.  The three Turner siblings each find love at Christmastime during World War Two, on three successive Christmases.  

In "White Christmas" by Cara Putman, it's 1942 when college student Abigail Turner meets factory worker Jackson Lucas accidentally.  She offers her father's lawyering services to help save the Lucas farm, and as she and Jackson meet up over and over, they become friends, then fall in love.

In "I'll be Home for Christmas" by Sarah Sundin, it's 1943, and Air Force ace Pete Turner is home on furlough in time for Christmas.  He gets reacquainted with widow Grace Kessler when her little daughter Linnie decides he's the answer to her prayer asking God for a new daddy.  

In "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" by Tricia Goyer, it's 1944, and Meredith "Merry" Turner is working as a nurse in a field hospital in the newly liberated Netherlands when she encounters the man she had loved years previously, but had suspected of being a Nazi spy.

All three stories are sweet and fun, and they were the perfect sort of light reading I like during the busy end of December.  Each one had a nice message of trusting God, with characters growing and learning in believable ways.  If you're a fan of Christian fiction, holiday stories, clean romance stories, or simply the WWII setting, you'll probably get a kick out of these.  I read it as an e-book with my Kindle app, but I wouldn't mind owning a paperback copy.

Particularly Good Bits:

"I guarantee no woman has ever fallen in love with me after one kiss.  It takes at least twenty.  I happen to be quite resistible."  (from "I'll be Home for Christmas")

"The thing about love," Nancy said, more serious now, "is that it's slow to fade.  It's not a bad thing.  Love is meant to last."  (from "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas")

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It:  PG for war-related things like talk about concentration camps, hiding Jewish people to protect them, people being killed, and some surgical and medical situations in the final story especially.  The romances do involve kissing, but nothing more.


This is my third book read and reviewed for the Literary Christmas Challenge hosted by In the Bookcase.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was like 99 cents when I bought it as an e-book on Amazon -- don't know if the price has gone up yet or not.

      Delete
  2. This is off-topic, but I just wanted to say that I love your new blog header. The way you wrote the quote in the elf-style script is so perfect.
    ~Marcy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marcy! That's a downloadable font called Hobbiton Brushhand that I got years ago -- soooooo fun to use! I have no idea where I got it anymore, but you can probably find it via Google if you want it yourself. It's supposed to look like Bilbo's writing, actually. I loves it, Precious!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your review on this one. It looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tarissa, here's another comment I never saw! Huh. You're quite welcome :-)

      Delete
  4. These look fun! I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kara, they're perfect for the busy holidays when you want something fun and uplifting, but not deep!

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)