Monday, November 14, 2016

What My Kids are Reading #7

I feel like sharing what my kids have been reading lately, so I'm starting this series up again :-)


Sam (9)

The Carpet People by Terry Pratchett -- He enjoyed The Dragons of Crumbling Castle so much, I got him this, and he's now read it probably six or seven times.  It makes him laugh.

Physics:  Why Matter Matters! by Dan Green -- We're studying basic physics in third grade science this year, and he's relaly been enjoying seeing various concepts from school pop up in this book.

Queen Red Riding Hood's Guide to Royalty by Chris Colfer -- I've been wanting to try the Land of Stories series for a while now, and Sam enjoyed this spin-off book so much, I'm pretty sure we'll be getting the first book in the series soon.



Sarah (6) and Eggnog (4) (Eggnog used to call herself Tootie, but she's renamed herself Eggnog, and also says she's a middle-aged man who is uncle to her toy cat, because that's what life is like when you're four.  One minute a little girl, next a cat's uncle.)

Bread and Jam for Frances by Russell Hoban, illustrated by Lillian Hoban -- Young badger Frances likes to eat bread and jam, and not much else.  So her parents let her eat all the bread and jam she wants, until she tires of it.  We love the whole Frances series!

Interrupting Chicken by David Ezra Stein -- This is such a funny book.  I giggle every time I read it.  A daddy rooster tries to read bedtime stories to his little chicken, but the chicken keeps interrupting and messing up the stories.

The Plot Chickens by Mary Jane and Herm Auch -- a chicken who loves to read tries to write a book herself, with eggciting results :-)


Aloud to All of Them


Knight's Castle by Edward Eager -- I read Half Magic to them earlier this year, and they adored it, so we're delving into Eager's second book now.  It's so whimsical and fun -- who wouldn't want to get magically transported to the world of Ivanhoe, right?  And I love all the little references to classic literature.  Lines like, "Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery" make me laugh and not them, just because I know it's Austen.  Trust me, this is a not-to-be-missed delight.

8 comments:

  1. I loved all the Frances books. So cute. I wish I still had a 4-year-old girl who pretended she was someone else. Mine used to pretend to be various animals, usually for extended periods of time. Most often she was a bunny and communicated by wiggling her nose. She would get very irritated when I didn't understand the difference between nose wiggles. Eggnog sounds charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, I loved the Frances books as a kid, and am so happy my kids want me to read them a lot now :-)

      Charming Eggnog is currently pitching a hissy fit over having to be last to get her teeth brushed. Ahhhh, 4-year-olds.

      Delete
  2. Those Dan Green science books are hysterical. We have four of them, including that Physics one. And those Frances books are so sweet. My favorite when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, I know! We've gotten four or five of them from the library, some of them multiple times. So fun.

      I loved the Frances books as a kid too. Especially her songs!

      Delete
  3. Oh! The Land of Stories books are SO good!!! I have yet to read the Red Riding Hood and Mother Goose ones, but I have read the rest of the series and the 6th will come out next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MovieCritic! I'm glad to hear from someone who's read them. I know they're popular, but I hadn't really read anything about them, I just see them all over.

      Delete
  4. I love the Frances books! My grandma had a few of them and I remember reading them over and over when I was young. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kara, aren't they the cutest? I love reading these aloud and making up tunes for the songs.

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)