Wednesday, March 5, 2014

LOTR Read-Along: The Passage of the Marshes (TTT Ch. 13)

Drearily we stumble along, stumble along, stumble along...

As Tolkien himself says here, "The next stage of their journey was much the same as the last" (p. 611).  Sam continues to suspect Gollum/Smeagol of ulterior motives, and to help Frodo by "supporting him if he stumbled, and trying to encourage him with clumsy words" (p. 617).  Everything is ugly and horrible and ghastly.  And that's all I have to say about that.

Favorite Lines:

"Day is near," he whispered, as if Day was something that might overhear him and spring on him (p. 607).

Dead grasses and rotting reeds loomed up in the mists like ragged shadows of long-forgotten summers (p. 612).

Possible Discussion Questions:

What do you think the lights above the dead things in the marsh signify or represent or mean or whatever?

4 comments:

  1. I hadn't thought in depth about it before... Spirits maybe? Firefly-ish lights representing spirits that can''t rest??? I don't know... Interesting to think about. And the page 612 quote is just a fascinating combination of words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a great description? I struggle writing descriptions, so I'm quite drawn to good ones.

      Yeah, I have no idea what they're supposed to be either.

      Delete
  2. I have asked myself many things about the Dead Marshes passages: what battle was fought here? Are the dead people really drawing passersby in, or is this just in Frodo's head? But I never wondered at the lights yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to this site, it was the Battle of Dagorlad during the Last Alliance of Elves and Men. Which IIRC was when they overthrew Sauron, Isildur got the ring, etc. As for the rest, yeah, it's just creepy and weird and I have no idea what's going on or why. Was the place cursed when Sauron fell, maybe?

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)