Thursday, October 10, 2024

"The Stories of Edgar Allan Poe" (Manga Classics) by Stacy King, et al

My kids are getting old enough to not be too creeped out by classic horror stories anymore (at least, so they claim), so I've finally pulled out a few Manga Classics titles that I had avoided until now.  Including this one!  (I knew once I read them, they'd demand to read them, so I just had to bide my time.  Mom life, yo.)

This volume has four stories and one poem, all by Edgar Allan Poe.  Each one was illustrated by a different artist, but all were adapted by Stacy King.  The stories and illustrators are:

"The Tell-Tale Heart," art by Virginia-Nitouhei -- this one was appropriately weird, and I liked how some of the angles of the artwork made me think of film noir.

"The Cask of Amontillado," art by Chagen -- I love this short story, but I feel like this retelling could have been a bit cooler and darker.  Maybe it just paled in comparison to the excellent weirdness of the previous piece.

"The Raven," art by pikomaro -- Really, really, really well done.  This has the full text of the original poem and brings it to live with wonderful vividness.

"The Masque of the Red Death," art by Uka Nagao -- another favorite short story of mine, and I think they brought this one to life quite well.

"The Fall of the House of Usher," art by Linus Liu -- never been a favorite of mine, and I feel like this retelling rushed things a little bit, at the expense of the suspense.

Overall, this was super enjoyable, and not as gruesome as I feared it might be.  Definitely less scary than the stroll we took through the Halloween costume section of Party City yesterday :-b

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: PG-13.  Nothing toooooo gross or graphic, nothing smutty, no bad language... but definitely creepy on purpose.


This is my 25th book read from my TBR stacks for the 2024 Mount TBR Reading Challenge.

3 comments:

  1. Hi again Rachel, since you're a fan of both westerns and Shakespeare, I think you might enjoy my post today! --
    https://shewhoseeks.blogspot.com/2024/10/yeehaw-and-forsooth.html

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)