Thursday, April 11, 2024

"Winter Holiday" by Arthur Ransome

In my defense, it WAS winter when I started reading this aloud to my kids!  I started it in January, but it's been challenging to fit read-aloud time into the general chaos that has been our lives for the first few months of this year.  In fact, I finished reading it to them in the van on the way home from a road trip to Indiana to view the total solar eclipse this week.  I think the characters in this series would have approved of that.

This is book four in the Swallows and Amazons series, and I think it ties with the first book as my favorite so far.  That's partly because I love snow, and this involves a lot of snow, and partly because it felt kind of new and different because of the setting and the addition of new characters.  To the usual Swallows (John, Susan, Titty, and Roger) and Amazons (Nancy and Peggy) and Captain Flint, we add the Ds (Dick and Dorothea).  The Ds are NOT great at things like sailing and camping and climbing mountains... but they are willing to do their best and try their hardest, and I grew to love them for their gumption.

Because the Swallows and Amazons are both spending their winter school break at the lake where they usually hang out in the summer, they decide to get together an expedition to the North Pole.  They meet Dick and Dorothea after the Ds try signalling with lights to the house at Holly Howe where the Swallows are staying, only they don't know Morse Code, so the Swallows and Amazons promptly teach it to them.  And then let them tag along as they build an igloo of sorts, and make plans and preparations for their polar expedition, and so on.  The Ds enter fully into the very real spirit behind the somewhat imaginary expedition, and end up having a truly thrilling adventure of their own before the end.

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: PG for children getting into dangerous situations.  No one is ever permanently or seriously hurt, however.


This has been my 23rd book read and reviewed for my fourth Classics Club list, and my 11th for the 2024 Mount TBR Challenge.

3 comments:

  1. Aw, this looks like such a fun series!

    (How was the eclipse? Younger Me would have died to see it, hehe.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, this series is a treasure!

      The eclipse was fantastic! We went to the center of the path of totality in Indiana and were blessed with nearly clear skies -- we got to experience all the things: crescent shadows, the diamond ring, shadow bands, full eclipse, and a 360-degree sunset, not to mention birds singing night songs and roosting for a few minutes, and even a couple of bats flying by! Temps dropped, all of it. I'm so glad we were able to take our kids.

      Delete
    2. That's incredible! I'm so glad it all worked out for you all--what an experience!

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)