Saturday, May 13, 2023

"Hummingbird" by Natalie Lloyd

Natalie Lloyd's books continue to enchant and delight me.  And make me cry.  This one definitely made me cry multiple times toward the end -- but not over sad things!  Like with most books (and movies), what made me cry was some really, really good stuff happening against the odds that it wouldn't.

Like, not to spoil the ending or anything, but man, it is GOOD.  

Olive has "brittle bone disease," or osteogenesis imperfecta.  Because she's had so many broken bones all through her childhood, she's always been homeschooled.  And she doesn't mind being homeschooled, but she would really like to try public school, just to know what it's like.  So, she convinces her parents to let her try it.  And she struggles to fit in.  And she makes friends.  And she pursues her dream of being an actress by trying out for the school play.  And there's heartache and happiness and joy and fear and wonder.  And magic.  

Also, this is the first Natalie Lloyd book I've read that involves going to church.  Olive and her family attend what basically sounds like a non-denominational church, and Olive talks openly about praying, believing in God, and so on.  But, yes, there's also magic in the form of a magical hummingbird that grants wishes.  You just kind of have to read it to get it.  The only thing I didn't approve of was that Olive's church has a woman pastor, which I believe is unscriptural, but that is not enough to make me stop from recommending this book.

Oh, and Natalie Lloyd herself has osteogenesis imperfecta, which gives this book another layer of poignancy.

Particularly Good Bits:

All in all, it seemed like an ordinary day.  But it wasn't.  Beginnings are sneaky like this (p. 2).

Banjo music sounds like sunshine on a string.  Like a bumblebee square dance (p. 9).

"You're not a miracle because you have brittle bones or because you use a wheelchair or walker.  You're not a miracle if you don't.  You're a miracle because you exist.  Everybody is" (p. 24).

Mama and Jupiter have always told me that one person's talent does not take away from your talent (p. 244).

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: G.  No cussing or violence.

This is my 26th book read from my TBR shelves for #TheUnreadShelfProject2023.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really good :D I bet my younger sister would enjoy Natalie Lloyd, too. I should remember to tell her about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like all of her books a lot! I can't get my daughters to read her books for some reason, but my son has read and enjoyed all of them :-) I hope you can get your sister to try one!

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)