Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Top Ten Tuesday: And Then a Heroine Comes Along

This week's Top Ten Tuesday prompt from That Artsy Reader Girl is "Favorite Heroines."  I've decided to list mine in alphabetical order by first name because I am late getting this post finished and I don't want to take the time and mental energy to figure out whom I like best.  I'm also going to list a few attributes I associate with each of them, though, so you can get an idea of what they are like!


Anne Elliot in Persuasion by Jane Austen -- shy, quiet, sensible, loyal, kind, tenacious, bookish

Anne Shirley from the Anne of Green Gables books by L. M. Montgomery -- quirky, imaginative, bookish, starry-eyed, stubborn

Constance Kopp from Girl Waits with Gun and the rest of the Kopp Sisters series by Amy Stewart -- sensible, down-to-earth, brave, stalwart, capable, determined

Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter books by J. K. Rowling -- intelligent, loyal, courageous, level-headed, resourceful, curious, bookish

Jane Eyre from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte -- strong-willed, strong-minded, indomitable, resilient, affectionate

Jo March from Little Women, Little Men, and Jo's Boys by Louisa May Alcott -- independent, smart, imaginative, bookish, understanding, stubborn, resourceful, dependable

Mary Russell from The Beekeeper's Apprentice and the rest of the series featuring Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes by Laurie R. King -- willful, intelligent, gutsy, bookish, indomitable, skillful

Thursday Next from The Eyre Affair and the rest of the series by Jasper Fforde -- trustworthy, diligent, determined, curious, strong-willed

Trixie Belden from the Trixie Belden series by Kathryn Kenny -- smart, loyal, curious, pugnacious, determined

Valancy Stirling from The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery -- bright, vibrant, bookish, diligent, kind, forthright


Well, from my listing of random character traits and descriptions, I think we can see the sorts of traits I value in fictional characters!  There are a lot of similarities here, aren't there?

11 comments:

  1. I know Marta would make my own list! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I loved Jane Eyre.

    My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-favorite-character-traits-for-heroines/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read Anne of Green Gables. I somehow missed it when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AJ, if it makes you feel better, I think I may enjoy Anne more as an adult than I did as a kid. So you haven't missed out totally!!!

      Delete
  4. I need to catch up on the Marry Russell books. Great picks this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We shared some of the same heroines! Wish I had thought of Trixie, though! I wore out my copies with so much rereading. As a 40th birthday gift for myself, I purchased a pristine complete collection in the same editions as I'd had as a child. (The previous owner had saved hers and read the library copies instead.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gypsi, oh, that collection sounds so cool! When I was about 10, a much-older cousin gave me her Trixie Belden collection, the first 30 books. I was sooooo excited because my library only had a handful. Such wonderful stories!

      Delete
  6. I have a few of the Trixie Belden books but for the life of me cannot remember if I read them as a kid or not. I bought some as gifts for my cousin too who went through an entire Nancy Drew mystery phase. :) Also... Anne is an underrated Jane Austen heroine I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rissi, well, Trixie Belden is still loads of fun even if you're not a kid anymore. I infinitely prefer her to Nancy Drew!

      Anne is definitely an underrated Austen heroine. Maybe that's part of why I love her so much?

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)