Wednesday, November 23, 2022

"Kidnapped" by Jan Burke

This was a nail-biter, and no mistake.  So many little threads of killings and kidnappings and disappearances and deaths, all woven together skillfully.

A young man goes to prison for killing his father and little sister.  His brother and mother are convinced he's innocent.  Fast-forward a few years, and new evidence crops up, old evidence is shown to be mismanaged and misidentified, and then a dead body linked to another kidnapping is found, and suddenly lots of crimes that seemed unrelated start forming a pattern.  At least, that's how intrepid reporter Irene Kelly sees it, and her police detective husband Frank sees it the same way.  

This book marks the end of My Year with Irene Kelly.  Although there is one more book in the series, Disturbance, I won't be reading it.  I discovered that it deals with the same ultra-creepy killer from Bones, which I disliked so much when I read it earlier this year that I didn't even review it.  I don't want to remember it.  So I know I don't want to read another book about the same guy.

I'm really happy I've finally read this whole series!  Bloodlines remains my personal favorite, and I also think it's the most masterful of the ten I've read.  But I very much enjoyed most of the other books, including this one.

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It: R for semi-graphically described murders, bad language, adult dialog, and some non-graphic sexual situations.

This has been the 55th book read off my TBR shelves for #TheUnreadShelfProject2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)